The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG] from left to right starting at the top......prototype Alpha II, production Alpha II, Wickhams made in england, G loomis venture 5, Prototype Allen Clicker reel, *****PROTOTYPE ALLEN ANTI REVERSE REEL******, Orvis Presentation EXR IV, Ocean City 77, Prototype Allen Alpha Click, First generation Allen Alpha.
kelkay and von behr like this.

Last edited by araitim; 04-23-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that St. George of yours Ard, what a great picture! Looking forward to seeing the Odyessy!

Thanks for the encouragement to post more photos. I was incredibly pleased to find the St. John Ard, especially in this condition. I believe it is from the 70's so probably not all that collectible---yet. None the less, a nice reel that pairs perfectly with the switch I intended to pair it up with.

Galvan reels are amazing and the photos of the Rush I have seen posted on various websites just don't do them justice. As I write it's snowing here and I'm dreaming of using the 3wt on spring creeks
Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Don't let the snow get you down, there's always Elk Creek right up the road a piece. You can always scratch a fish or 2 out of that, even now. They might be pretty dark but they seem to be there all winter.

All the St. Johns are collector items as well as good fishing reels. I'm not sure how far back you go to find the three screw latch, maybe pre 68'.

As for the Odyssey reel, I got it back and give a big Plus 1 to the Orvis reel shop. Not only did they cure the drag issue, they replaced the drag knob! The drag dial was the only part of the reel with a scrape and they put a new one on it! How that knob got a deep gash is the stuff of a thread I'll wright and post to general discussion forum soon. I have always been amazed that the whole reel was not demolished by what happened to it. I credit tough construction and good luck on my part.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I love that St. George of yours Ard, what a great picture! Looking forward to seeing the Odyessy!

Thanks for the encouragement to post more photos. I was incredibly pleased to find the St. John Ard, especially in this condition. I believe it is from the 70's so probably not all that collectible---yet. None the less, a nice reel that pairs perfectly with the switch I intended to pair it up with.

Galvan reels are amazing and the photos of the Rush I have seen posted on various websites just don't do them justice. As I write it's snowing here and I'm dreaming of using the 3wt on spring creeks
Very cool nice St John. I found mine a mid seventies new in the box three years ago for an even $100, and I love it. It's my go to Steelhead reel for the switch rod. It's handled some serious AK Silvers too. Great classic reel. You'll love it after you fish it.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

We finally got some snow last night and boy did it put me in the winter blues mode. I spent a few hours adm inistering some reel love. Pulled off and stored lines, rinsed some backing, clean and lube. Got about half way through before I got bored and wandered off to organize my bucktail. I don't know whats worse the winter blues or my A-D-D.

Half done reels...
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Half done lines...
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Hardyreels and von behr like this.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

A.D.D can be a

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

that's a nice collection of reels you've got there swirl

ARFE
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
A.D.D can be a
Very funny John, what were we talking about again?

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
that's a nice collection of reels you've got there swirl
Thanks Casey, they just seem to multiply.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
.......just seem to multiply.

Not really into the "space age" ones but what's the last flyreel on the right ?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

Not really into the "space age" ones but what's the last flyreel on the right ?
The last one on the right is a Bronson Multi Royal 380. I picked it up about a year ago and under your advise I took a toothbrush to it and put it back in service. There's a Bronson Royalist 370 behind it, see how they multiply?