The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

awesome reels guys!!
here's a reel for my daughter to learn how to cast this spring
definitely reel love

Click the image to open in full size.

casey
Hardyreels and wannafish like this.

ARFE
Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Now that's a cute little girly reel
Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

My daughter has recently wanted to try out fly fishing with me and the son in law, she's hooked now. I bought her a 4wt rod the other night and have one of Justins fly reels on the way to go on the pole. Got the green 4wt trout reel for her.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember seeing any of these posted in this thread.
Back before 'the movie' and the subsequent proliferation of new reels, the SA System II was the standard for saltwater here in the northeast.
As recently as two years ago I fished one evening with 3 other long experienced saltwater anglers and of the 4 of us, 3 were using System II reels and the forth guy had one in his car as a back-up.

Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Paul,

All of the 'System' reels were great tackle, I've had a few of the System I pass through my collection over the years. That one is in great shape.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I still have my System 2, circa 1994(posted it on my first post in this thread), wouldn't think of getting rid of it there's too many good memories on that reel. Here's my newest reel purchase, new to me Super 5 and spare spool....
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice Abel,

I have one on its way here now When it gets here I'll get out the camera and shoot some reels. It seems I have a few that have not been put on the thread but this new one should be a beauty. That's all I'll say till I get hands on................ OK just one hint, it weighs 15 ounces

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
awesome reels guys!!
here's a reel for my daughter to learn how to cast this spring
definitely reel love

casey
Casey; That's a great starter reel for your daughter. I know you'll have fun helping her use it.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thanks ard,
looking forward to it

ARFE
Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Here're some of my reels during a day out at a local creek:
Hardyreels and von behr like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

15oz Abel, must be a big one.... Anti reverse maybe? I'll be waiting for a shot, ever since getting my Super 6 I've realy started to like Abel's alot more. I think my next one will be a Super 9, or a #3 anti reverse for my 9wt.

Nice photo Gator, looks like it could be an Allen poster hanging in a fly shop somewhere.

I look at the thread alot and often think to myself,"why isn't there a rod love thread"? Me being a gear w#@re/junkie, whatever you want to call it, I go through more rods in one year than others will in a lifetime. But as I go throught rods I hold onto the ones I realy like and sell the others to fund more rod/reel purchases. Maybe I'll get some rods/reels out and snap a few pics so I can start one and see if anybody feels the same as I do.

Last edited by wishiniwerfishin; 02-10-2012 at 11:12 AM.