The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2234Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Columbia South Carolina according to thier website, since 1982. Seems like they have been a US based company a long time, though they did have a subsidiary in Canada. They have been around since 1896. Looks like they created a company called Columbia Products Inc in 1947. Not sure if it is the same. Anyway heres a link about Shakespeare company if your interested.

Back to reels.

I have two Redington CD reels, a 5/6 and a 3/4 both with spare spools. Since i had spent most of my time fishing line holder reels, these were the first ones I bought that cost more then $50.00 So, they are probably my favorite reels right now.

I did just buy (on sale for half price mind you) a Cabela RLS2 LA reel, but have not fished it yet - it seems like a decent reel so maybe it will be nice to use.

d
Old 11-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dave,

They (Pflueger) made the early Battenkill reels for Orvis also. lots of people bought them and didn't know. They probably have as many reels out there as any other company and maybe more. I have two medalist reels but they are in Colorado or I would have posted them.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Kewl Ard

Seems a lot of people relate Shakespeare (and Pflueger) with low end gear, yet they made reels for Orvis, and a lot of people swear by the medalist - a good solid, standard duty reel, you just never know do you? Quality does not always have to be the most expensive

d
Old 11-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

actually it was the Orvis Madison reel that was a Medalist
they're kinda kewl lookin

It's said that the Medalist is the most used fly reel in the world.... and for good reason IMO

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:27 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

here are few of mine:
medalist anti reverse and a 1498
Cortland multiplier 444LTD
Orvis made Redington AL 9/10 and 3/4
Automatic Reels

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

A few more:
south bend with silk line
orvis bbs II
Ocean city 75
Ocean city 76
Cortland Magnum 200D
orvis Madison
Hardyreels and von behr like this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I use a 5 weight rod most of the year. This reel by far is my favorite.

Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor

I also have one in pewter for my 4 weight ZXL.

MP
I agree with MP, I have two Abel Creek 2's. One goes on my 7'6" ZXL 3 wt. and the other goes on my TL Johnson 8'0" Vintage blank 4 wt. glass rod (below).

http://www.abelreels.com/pages/creeks.htm
Hardyreels, von behr and sbreech like this.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:03 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Here are my favorites:

The Abel Super 8 in a custom finish:

And the Ross Vexsis 2, 35th anniversary edition in tie dyed colors:

This was a great idea for a thread.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Bummed I dont have pictures, but my favorite reels would have to be my Hardy Flyweight, and then I would put down the Green Galvan Openback I have. awesome reels.

P.S. I WANT THE HARDY PERFECT WITH A PASSION!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Darn I had a nice one but (Perfect) sold it almost two years ago. It was very cool but like the St George it was right hand only. Eventually I grew tired of that and when the market turned to a sellers game I moved many of them out.

You need pictures of your reels so you can share them with the world.

Oh yes, hey Von Behr, You have the most colorful reels I have ever seen. I am guessing you to be a colorful person
Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 AM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road

I have a South Bend 1141 that looks like the Medalist. I noticed that on the Olympic 440 it has eight notches on the drag washer and mine has six. Does the extra two notches make a difference? I should really clean my reel like now but I thought I'd show you guys.

Hardyreels and von behr like this.