The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Orvis Odyssey III

A very fine reel for 7 - 9 weight rods up to 9' 6" in my experience, this is my Odyssey III. These reels were made in the United States, have excellent machining, and the drag will stop the strongest fish I've ever tangled with. I really like this reel, I've had it for 7 years now and managed to keep it as new. The reels have an impressive anodized finish that withstands marring under normal use.

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

nice looking reel ard!
looks like a brute
can you post a internal pic?

casey

ARFE
Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

A test post. Haven't taken the time to learn how to post pics but put a reel shot in my avatar. See if it works.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

fishiowa,

If you have trouble getting pictures posted drop me a PM, I saw that you were reading 'How Do I Post A Picture' but if still trouble let me know.

Casey,

I've been talking about showing how simple they are with internal shots for a while. I will take them apart and shoot a few. These reels are not a quick release spool so I need to be in the mood to take things apart before I'll have those pictures.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Ard,
Thanks for the offer, it was simple once I downsized the photo before attempting to upload.

I love them all but am partial to the clickers

Edit: Wow, it actually worked :-)
Hardyreels, kelkay and von behr like this.

Last edited by fishiowa; 02-16-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Administrator

I only owned this for a few days and had to return it. I guess it was reel Love gone bad; no parts available and it was in need of a few. Still I was hopeful for the couple days we were together.

An old Billy Pate Marlin; 4.5" 15 ounce anti reverse that holds 500 yards of backing and a Spey line......................

The search for the Big Heavy reel goes on.......................

Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

That's a nice shot iowa,
What are some of those reels ?
The one on the rod on the left. The one above the "cross". And the reel in the front on the right.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
Ard,
Thanks for the offer, it was simple once I downsized the photo before attempting to upload.

I love them all but am partial to the clickers

Edit: Wow, it actually worked :-)
Great looking collection iowa and nice presentation for the photo! There looks to be CFO's, Barstock, Mid Arbors and a couple from Ross and Hardy?

Pretty interesting looking reel there Ard.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Rip,
The one on the reel is a Hardy LRH, above the cross is a Martin 61 and to the far right a BBS III.

Jaybo,
you nailed most of them. Back row left to right Abel TR1, Martin 61, Redington Rise 5/6, Ross Evolution 1, Redington CD 7/8. Center is Ross Evolution 1.5. Front row Hardy LRH, BBS III, Evolution 1, CFO III, BBS III, TR1, Martin 63, CFO III and BBS III.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Too bad about the Pate, H-R. I am surprised though that Tibor does not have an abundent parts supply for that reel. I am a one-handed rod user but one of my spey buddies loves big Swedish Danielson's. Is that a reel you have looked at? Also, with your penchant for Orvis, have you looked at the 1st generation Vortex in its blue water size. This reel has not been a "reel love" subject but I fish one for bass and false albacore at Montauk each autumn. It is heavy, has a great drag, was made in America and, though a little wide for my taste, is a reel that has performed flawlessly for me under specialized very rugged conditions.

This is not me in this image but two of my salty friends, one of whom is sporting a Vortex. They were available in black as well.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-17-2012 at 01:51 PM.