The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Here's the new hardware for my Allen 3wt Xa, Just need a line now.
This is a no name reel i bought from a seller on the UK forum.
Is is about 3 inch diameter and has a nice enclosed drag, in case i get the lunker in the stream. Beautiful reel, for only $68
Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It is amazing the price, do you know what the weight is? It looks pretty well like many other reels of higher cost.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2012, 10:19 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Here are a couple shots of my reels:

From left to right:

English made Orvis BBSIII - my second fly reel
English made Crown II Click Pawl - my first fly reel
Abel Super 4
Abel Super 4N in HD Brown Trout
Lamson Velocity 3.5
Galvan Standard 3.0
Loop Opti Creek

On Box:
Abel Big Game 0
Abel Super 7
Abel pt.5

I don't take a lot of pictures of reels/rods when I'm on the river or stream, but here's a couple I took with my phone last year.

Super 7 and Sage 7100-4 VXP

Loop Opti Creek and Sage Z-Axis 490-4

Cheers,
Mike.
Hardyreels, von behr and jaybo41 like this.

Last edited by chi flyfisher; 02-18-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:31 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post

Loop Opti Creek and Sage Z-Axis 490-4

Cheers,
Mike.
Hey Mike,
Those Loop Opti reels call to me in my sleep. I really like the look, how do they perform?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Hey Mike,
Those Loop Opti reels call to me in my sleep. I really like the look, how do they perform?
Fabulous reel. Had no trouble with this nice Eagle River, CO rainbow on 6x

I can't say enough about the craftsmanship and performance of this Loop reel. I have two spools for it, one I use on my 3 wt. They're beautiful, the drag is phenomenal with a start up inertia that is smooth as silk. I do a lot of tight line nymphing with light tippet, I need the drag to be smooth for the strike more than I do for the runs of the fish. But if you do have one run, like this nice bow in fast water you have nothing but flawless performance.

I love it. Fished it everywhere from the Sierras, Rockies and Midwestern spring creeks.

Cheers,
Mike.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:38 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

The first one I saw was a Mega I believe. It was on a 9wt Spey rod. The first thing I noticed was the machining, fit and finish. I was pretty impressed with the manufacturing. I guess I will HAVE to buy one.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
The first one I saw was a Mega I believe. It was on a 9wt Spey rod. The first thing I noticed was the machining, fit and finish. I was pretty impressed with the manufacturing. I guess I will HAVE to buy one.
I hadn't heard of Loop when Chi told me he picked this gem up, and when I saw it I was blown away with the machining. It's gorgeous, and he knows better than I about performance but when I fished it for a little bit I can tell you that had a difficult time handing it back to him Very nice collection Chi, good to see you finally share some photos of it. i
Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It is amazing the price, do you know what the weight is? It looks pretty well like many other reels of higher cost.
its 128g. Not too heavy, though with the big drag knob at the back its a little wider than i'd like - but at that price, with the amazing quality that this reel is, I'll suffer with the drag knob
Here's another couple pics

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I'm having trouble transferring my photos onto this thread, but if I were more technologically proficient, I would show you a picture of my Abel Super 2!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

throssing,

I was going to send this via PM but thought to place it here also for anyone else having issues. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ure-nafff.html

There are other methods but since Frank went to the trouble to write this up it is what I post.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;