The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

nice reel ard. that's a beast for sure and i hope it works out on your new rod.
i've gotta 7/8 dxr coming this week, looking forward to trying the sucker out on some lake michigan steelies next month

casey

ARFE
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, they should have named it the Black Diamond because it's as big as a watermelon. Good looking reel and when you take it apart be sure to snap some pics for the thread.

Dave
caseywise likes this.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Casey,

A DXR Tarpon was sold on eBay last week on the cheap, it was the anti reverse 4" job, would'a made one heck of a steelhead & salmon reel................. The one you have on the way sounds good. I already checked the reel for balance and it'll work out. It balances the rod right at the winding check. I would like it a couple inches back but finding a reel with that much weight is a tough one these days. I'm anxious to see how this big rod casts, 15' using an 875 grain Mid Spey taper it should be pretty neat.

Dave,

I already had it apart and reversed the winding but if I take it apart again I'll take a few pictures, heck of a drag system in them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a couple of new reels while the winter has been keeping me waiting. A Ross CLA7 with a spare spool and a Bauer CFX5. So far I love them both. As soon as I can go get a big fish on them I'll let you know how I feel about them then. I love big reels.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You shouldn't keep me in the dark about what the Ross looks like Dan........ a picture would be nice here................ So.........what about the Tibor??

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

There's just something about the way this guy whittled aluminum that haunted me until I broke down and got this...

1-2 weight spool
Click the image to open in full size.

1-5 weight spool and frame
Joni, Hardyreels, von behr and 1 others like this.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

That's a beauty Jackster!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

+1 there, those Charlton reels are pure beauty!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
There's just something about the way this guy whittled aluminum that haunted me until I broke down and got this...

1-2 weight spool

1-5 weight spool and frame
Now that is a sexy reel!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The neat part is that I got them when Scientific Anglers was blowing them out.