The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2152Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 11:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Less incoming clicks per revolution, and maybe a little more lag
time before the spool pin finds a slot going out.....Maybe
Old 11-30-2009, 01:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Since there were threads started on three weights over the past 48 or so hours, I thought that I'd post a picture of the reel that I use on my three weight rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

It's an Abel TR1 that I purchased around 2004. It has been used at least 50 fishing days. Keep in mind that I mostly fish five and six weights. I'm sure that the reel will get more use in the future. This reel was not made with a single piece of plastic on it. Every piece of metal (except the spring) was machined to Steve Abel's specs at the Abel factory. That includes the screws. Talk about quality control.

I use this reel with a Sage 383-4 SLT. It is spooled with a Scientific Anglers Trout Taper DT3F. I had an unexpected 17" Brown Trout fought off of the reel. It did not bird's nest the line when the fish decided to take some line.

MP
von behr and sbreech like this.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
This reel was not made with a single piece of plastic on it. Every piece of metal (except the spring) was machined to Steve Abel's specs at the Abel factory. That includes the screws. Talk about quality control.
As far as quality and good 'ol American craftsmanship and engineering goes, on that Charlton I pictured, the only fasteners are the two screws holding the reel foot on!
Dang I love good metalwork!
sbreech likes this.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
As far as quality and good 'ol American craftsmanship and engineering goes, on that Charlton I pictured, the only fasteners are the two screws holding the reel foot on!
Dang I love good metalwork!
I've been considering adding a Hatch reel to my collection when I purchase another Spey rod. The only screw (it's a grub screw) on the reel locks the drag assembly in place. The reel foot and the reel frame is only one piece.

MP
Old 11-30-2009, 03:49 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Okay MoscaPescador, you got me! What the heck is a grub screw?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Okay MoscaPescador, you got me! What the heck is a grub screw?
It's a headless screw with a slot at one end to receive a screwdriver or allen wrench.

MP
Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
It's a headless screw with a slot at one end to receive a screwdriver or allen wrench.
commonly known as a set screw
Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 AM

Every now and then I tell myself that I am going to sell my Lamson Litespeed 3, but I continue to find uses for it.

Right now, the LS3 is my backup reel for my 6 weight switch rod. I have a Rio AFS 5/6 shooting head and a running line on one spool and a Sage Indicator 260 grain line on the other. It was fun feeling how the rod acted when I casted Scandi-style and when I used it as a long nymph rod. I prefer to cast Skagit-style.

I think that I'm going to continue to use it as a backup reel or as a line testing reel. Working at a shop, reps drop off line samples to be tested. I could use this for single handed 6/7/8 weight lines and 5/6 Spey lines. That way I don't have to take lines off my other reels.

MP
Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

You guys are so bad for me (LOL).

Reading this thread got me thinking about my reels, so in the last week I have:

Reunited my old Omni 44 (medalist) reel with the original fly rod (an old Zebco fiberglass 6 wt) and rehung it on the wall.

Found an identical reel on ebay and purchased it for $11 shipped to my house. It is now on the wall with my reconditioned (sort of) Jorgenson bamboo rod. I had to switch it over to left hand retrieve (first time for me but I got it done - woohoo)

Took the spare spools from my redington cd reels and put line on both of them (rio ST II WF) so now I have 3, 4, 5, and 6 weights covered (put 4 and 6 on the spare spools)

I still need to work on getting some photos, it is on my list to do and I will get some taken and posted soon.

Dave
Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dave,

Very cool! I am happy to see people posting with their reels and facing their 'reel love' syndrome at last. For some it is a dark secret that they fear others will ostracize them for, but here it is understood.

Now go take pictures of all your reels......................

Ard
bradyb likes this.