The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

My fishing partner sent me these pictures of his new reel yesterday.
He's been building his own bamboo rods for about 10 years and I guess he need a homemade reel to go with them.
The reel body was made from a brass door kick plate. The only power tool used was a drill

Click the image to open in full size.

That should work...
Hardyreels and smog7 like this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 12-02-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Bingo!

I will certainly award him an A+ for shear determination and yes I think it will work.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-02-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Change content of post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 AM

Gar will become famous soon enough

I use Hardy/Greys.
Hardyreels and von behr like this.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to your friend Rip,the leather case is beautiful too!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Congrats to your friend Rip,the leather case is beautiful too!
Every autumn he attends the bamboo rod builders conclave at the Catskill FF Center. I believe he made the case there last year and I'm guessing the reel was his project this season.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

White stuff is falling, bored to tears, can't go fishing, wife won't let me and says I am crazy for wanting to drive through a blizzard to go fishing, so, here are some pics of a few of my reels.

Shakespeare Omni 44 (medalist)

Crystal River Coachman

Okuma Magnitude (Large Arbor Magnesium Reel purchased for $30)

Redington CD 5/6 with spare spool (WF5F on the reel, WF6F on the spool)

Redington CD 3/4 with spare spool (DT3F on the reel, DT4F on the spool)

RLS2

And a Cabelas 3 Forks LA

I have some other cheap reels from SA, Cabelas, and another Omni, but figured this is enough.

d
Hardyreels and von behr like this.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool Dave, price is not a factor when it comes to Reel Love! My wife tells me she loves me and I am not expensive, so..................... I like your reels

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Ard,
Like I have said before, except for the rare time I hook into a 20 inch + trout on the river, I rarely "have to" put a fish on the reel. If I have a fish that runs, I do put them on the reel, but I don't believe that I have lost a fish due to the quality of my reel drag yet. So for me, the reel basically holds the line, and occasionally sees duty as a drag assist mechanism. I am probably not explaining this right. In any case the Redingtons and the RLS2 are my two most expensive reels, but I bought them as they were being discontinued so I didn't pay that much for them. I believe that while a good drag can help, and I am sure it does on the larger fish, I fish for trout primarily, and there have been a lot of trout caught on older reels that did not have the benefit of today's technology.

Doesn't mean I don't love my reels or my rods, I do, I have more rods and reels then I can use on any single outing, even if I take a couple spares.

It sure is fun to be getting ready to go fish and be able to say, hmmm, I think I will take the old omni and my Griggs 5 weight today, or maybe the redington 3 wt and redington reel.

The other thing I think is kewl, is having the spare spools with larger line. the spare for the 3/4 has 4 wt on it, and the spare for the 5/6 has 6 wt on it. When I get a new 5 wt rod, I can underline or overline it and see what it likes to use. If I am fishing dries on the 3wt, I can use the 3wt DT, if I am fishing nymphs, the 4wt, etc. The hard part is remembering what type of line I have on the spool. I am planning on putting a 5wt sinking line on the Okuma for still water fishing - any recommendations?

d
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Dave,

Just found this question, been awhile but better late than never. I am not a still water fisherman of great note. I have fished for pike a bit in lakes and found myself using a DT floater. I liked that approach even though I have a 9wt sink tip line. The floater allows me to pick up a cast and reposition ...... say, 90* to the right If I spot a fish. The sinking line almost requires that I keep stripping in line to a manageable length prior to making another cast. This is not to say that with a stiff rod you can not raise a line that is six feet under and cast but a days worth of that will wear you out.

So unless some special situation requires me to use a sinking line I stay with a floater and go to a longer leader with a 24" lead head looped in about four feet from the fly.

Don't know if that sounds good but it is how I handle depth.

Ard
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Joni says she uses a 30 foot leader for lake fishing in her belly boat. I've been
using 12 foot leaders on lakes lately, and adding a bit more weight to the
fly. I've never used split shot with ff'ing gear, but I'm sure it would help. While
I've fished deep at the local lake with all kinds of fishing gear, 99% of the
fish I catch are in less than 6 feet of water, and 99% of those are within 20
feet of the bank.