The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

That's another beauty Kelly. I wouldn't let a couple ounces interfere in my relationship with that reel. I like some heft in a reel, especially if I'm putting it on a 9' rod.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thank you! I am glad you like the reel. It is close to 30 years old I am told. I now have two multipliers. I cleaned it up as best I could, and waxed it. But I am hesitant to take the multiplier gears off. I am afraid I won't get it back together. The reels get a bath, clean, wax, then lube. This reel looks so much better than when I got it. It wasn't that dirty. It just sparkled when I cleaned it. I used Simichrome for the chrome, but I am not sure if I like it better than Miracle Cloths. The chrome did shine so much that I had trouble with the glare taking pics. So I handled it some, and wiped it down with a cloth, that was not sparkling clean. I think it had a bit of oil on it. Anyway, I feel this reel will be perfect for some of my heavier fishing excursions. The guy who had it before me had it so packed with line, it was pitiful. I am not sure what weight that line was either. It needed lubrication badly. Now it is working like it should be.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

My L.L. Bean Mid-Arbor Reel. Very smooth quiet reel with nice drag.
For $109.00 it is a nice reel with features of more expensive brands. I believe it is imported though.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hardyreels, von behr and caseywise like this.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:51 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I like the looks of the front of the reel. Beautiful classic appeal to it!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:01 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly, great collection of reels you have! Thanks for sharing.

I picked up that Bean Mid Arbor in a store once. Very cool reel that seems to be well made. One thing's for sure, you are more than covered with Bean's guarantee. I've read some pretty good reviews of them as well. Nice reel noreaster.
kelkay likes this.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Kelly, great collection of reels you have! Thanks for sharing.

I picked up that Bean Mid Arbor in a store once. Very cool reel that seems to be well made. One thing's for sure, you are more than covered with Bean's guarantee. I've read some pretty good reviews of them as well. Nice reel noreaster.
Thanks

I did quite a bit of research on the reviews before I bought it. The price was right for the features that the reel offered but it was the free shipping to Canada that sealed the deal. Being in such a small place it can be difficult to find nice gear at a nice price without paying a king's ransom.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans View Post
After wanting one for a long time, i finally got the Bauer Rogue i have been drooling over.

Bauer rogue 4
I am really starting to like the Rogues. I like that they have the black frame and colored spools. That grey of yours would look really good with the grey reel seats of my S4s's. They also seem like a heck of a reel for the money. Maybe I need to pick a couple up.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

I just realized I haven't put a pick up so here goes...my much loved Abel TR1.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

heres an old cabelas cahill reel recently picked up. its a nice reel(possibly hardy made??), but if you look close on the front of the spool, you'll notice the spool release mechanism is missing. the previous owners must have broken or misplaced it because now there is a copper washer that you can pop off to access the insides.
still a servicible reel, and for 18 bucks including a new spool of backing and a new cabelas wf-4f line, what the heck. i'm thinkin one of those cabelas glass rods to put it on.

p.s.- any ideas on where one may find a replacement release mechanism for this reel?

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Casey,

If you measure the diameter of the release cover I will compare it to the Hardy reels I have on hand. Also post a picture of the end of the spindle so I can see the shape of it.

Do you have the tiny spring that would have been under the cover? If not then once we know the dimensions of the cover you can ask the Hardy rep who posts here to get you a spring and latch.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thanks for the reply ard
the diameter is 3/4". and no, there is no spring.

casey

ARFE