The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

I love fly reels and there are so many really beautiful reels on this thread that it's hard to believe it's grown so much. But.......Ya know I have a soft spot for all that Old School stuff

Casey, Nice SA buddy & golfnfish....... a very nice CFO III you're showing too.

I would have a new one to put on the thread but some crazy man out bid me a couple weeks ago on a mint Orvis Featherweight made by Hardy for Orvis. It was a beauty and I was willing to pay way too much. I was surprised when someone beat my offer Sooner or later I'll get one, I've only wanted it for about 20 years now......

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

My first keeper disc drag reel as recommended by forum members; even has a nice subdued Hardy sound

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Very nice rig, Wannafish. Golfnfish, your CFO is an early model as evideced by the srew-mounted spindle (check for tightness periodicly). The spool may not be original however, as it has the typical short, rarther than long lever on the spool release mechanizim featured on the earliest models. As far as your observation on the CFO name; note too it is engraved rarther than stamped as on later models.
imxer likes this.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

The Great Lakes salmon rig

Loop Greenline 9116 with Cascapedia MK3 8/9

kelkay and wishiniwerfishin like this.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Very nice rig, Wannafish. Golfnfish, your CFO is an early model as evideced by the srew-mounted spindle (check for tightness periodicly). The spool may not be original however, as it has the typical short, rarther than long lever on the spool release mechanizim featured on the earliest models. As far as your observation on the CFO name; note too it is engraved rarther than stamped as on later models.
Thanks sweetandsalt. I didn't know about using the length of the latch lever as a possible means of dating the spool. Its quite possible the spool is not the one that originally came with the reel. Although the picture posted doesn't clearly show the handle screw, it is " domed " as opposed to sunken in to the handle. I was told this was the case with the earlier spools. Have you ever heard that about the handle screws?

Thanks to all for the compliments on the reel.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

cfo I-(new version)

Hardyreels and kelkay like this.

ARFE
Old 09-25-2012, 12:08 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

For illustrative purposes as well as historical fun here are three Hardy-built Orvis CFO's. The first pair are very early iterations of CFO II and IV showing the elongated latch release lever, screw-mounted spindle and nickle silver line guard. The second .jpg features the relatively rare, Spey rod sized CFO VI. This example is old enough to be engraved rather than stamped but late enough to have the superior press-fit spindle that will not loosen. My well-worn CFO IV (not pictured) that has seen duty on several Orvis #4 and 5 weight rods, especially the Western 8'9"/#5 and currently on an '80s Western 8'/#4 which is missing paint and has one broken leaf spring, is of this press-fit but still Hardy-built generation.

Designed for Orvis by Stan Bogdan, the Hardy manufactured CFO's are among the most elegant examples of spring and pawl, palming rimmed fly reels, surpassed only, in my opinion, by Bogdan's own trout reels and Steve Abel's Creek model.

imxer, Hardyreels, kelkay and 1 others like this.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Brady, I'm loving that salmon rig! I got my butt kicked by a few the other day, I was more interested in catching the steelhead and browns that were starting to follow.
bradyb likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

My Speyco single spey, this reel has the loudest growl I've ever heard. I'm in love.

Steelheader's Anonymous.

Last edited by siskiyoublues; 09-25-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Beautifull Speyco! I want one of their reels for my 7wt spey rod.