The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

While I love the look of the classic reels, the Litespeed is a work of engineering marvel.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I totally dig what lamson is doing with reels these days, They are pretty freaking cool. I think Im going to swap my Lamson in place of the Sage reel I have for a better drag.

Speaking of Lamson and what they do, I ordered one of the Lamson built Cabelas WLx reels. its a dark grey finish with orange anodizing, its going to be sweet. I bought it for my 3wt Vantage so I can have 2 working 3wt combos. Plus I also did some new work to a Sage 3850 of mine, i'll have a thread of that maybe later today.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Dug out everything, well almost everything, for a photo last night. Only thing missing is a Konic 4.0, but its going to go on the 8wt to retire the Sage this weekend.

Click the image to open in full size.

From left to right, Allan Alpha II, Sage 1680, Allan Trout, Sage 3850CF, Cabelas CSR, Cabelas WLx, Original Allan Alpha ( from early in their existance )

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

very nice! just go ahead and send me that original alpha
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM

I forget when I got that, but that was in mid 09 I want to say. that littel reel is probably about the same weight as the Trout 5/7 they just stopped making haha. Its built like a tank.

And obviously, I have a thing for non-standard colors.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

heres my favorite reel! im sold on the allen lineup!

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

i almost forgot my bass reel i had to have a green reel for bassin!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Smile I've Finally Found One;

I believe this is the only one of these on the thread. I've read somewhere that the Pflueger Medalist is the American Hardy. While I'll not argue their bomb proof reliability I would submit that there was another American reel manufacturer who created something more suited to being called an American Hardy. The Martin Reel Co. of Mohawk NY. produced many very light weight clicker reels but by the mid to late 1970's made what I think was their best lightweight, the MG-7. With a diameter of 3.25" and weight of 4 oz. it is a perfect match for any graphite or glass rod and especially suited to vintage rods.

I've been on the look for one of these for quite some time but they are hard to find. When one would turn up they were usually beat up pretty well and I passed. I got one today

Other than the screwed pillars it has a sort of Euro appeal about itself.

The reel was not a Hardy clone but it is quite obvious by the overall design that Martin was somewhat inspired by the British reels. I was especially pleased to find this one with such a minimal amount of rim wear or nicks. I should add that as far as I know, in the clicker reels the MG series were the only ones to come with a nice machined alloy reel foot. If I want one for my Pflueger it'll cost me 28 dollars.....

The drag mechanism is what really showed that Martin was not looking to infringe on the Hardy style. I also have an old MG-3 with this same drag system. They offer a good strong check so that the reels will not over-spool when you strip line out and a noticeable range of tension as you adjust the drag knob located on the back plate.

I'm really happy to have found this and it has a home on the seat of that 1968 Orvis Full Flex I've got
kelkay, von behr, wt bash and 3 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice reel Ard.
Hardyreels likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-29-2012, 11:20 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice ard! love it....

here's a cortland reel my wife owns that i really like

great reel, great drag. wish they still made it

casey
Hardyreels and kelkay like this.

ARFE
Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

just got it, have not fished it, but wow

casey

ARFE

Last edited by caseywise; 09-30-2012 at 02:38 AM.