The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

Wt Bash, I have to agree with your assessment of the OC 36. If I saw you on the river with that reel, I would lay mine in the grass out of respect.

Dave
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

My new Hardy 3 1/8 mounted on a AJ Thramer Hollowbuilt Payne 102.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:14 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

This is my Hardy LRH Lightweight. My Dad gave it to me for my birthday back in the mid-70's. It's what I use 98% of my fishing time, usually on my 7'9" Superfine. The other 2% I use my Hardy Featherweight on my 7'6" Superfine 3 weight.Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels, kelkay, smog7 and 1 others like this.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow, nice looking hardys guys!(the rods aren't to shabby either)

casey

ARFE
Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

After months of agonizing what reel to get for my 8wt, I can honestly say it was totally worth it. My new Nautilus NV with some custom parts fresh out of the box. Tomorrow will be it's maiden run, rain or shine.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:11 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Congratulations. I like the blue drag and the S4s has, albit more understated, handsome good looks too.
tennessee dave and grouch like this.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:34 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

My prized Hardy-made CFO's (both passed down by my dad, attached to these exquisite LL's)

These are the guys who have gotten me through the last 12 yrs... love me some Ross. That Canyon 2 is the first reel I bought myself (dad always had tons of gear and said it was foolish to buy more), and is semi-retired, had my name engraved on it to hopefully pass down to my kid. I learned more about fly fishing during the years I fished this reel as my everyday horse than I ever have, probably ever will again

Hardyreels, kelkay and von behr like this.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:12 PM

crruns will become famous soon enough

After a good deal of agonizing, I decided on a Hardy Ultralight 4000 DD to go with my St. Croix 486. After taking it out for a day, I now want to pick up a spare spool, to hold my 5wf line, and use this reel on both my rods, and toss that TFO NXT in the weeds! What a nice, light weight reel!

Chad
Old 10-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Another Addition to The Martin Lineup;

Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's got to do with wanting to take a look at some things I missed along the way but at any rate I'm developing a collection of Martin Fly Reels. I've long enjoyed my MG-3 which came to me inherited when a very good friend passed away back in 1992. It didn't take long for me to realize that although not of the same level of engineering and finish the MG-3 was very much like an American issue of the Hardy reels that were so popular when I was young. While I lusted after the Hardy reels in several series I completely missed the Martin Lightweight Reels. Now some 35 years later I have acquired a taste for them and have what I think is the complete MG lineup. I've an MG-3, a #7 and a #9, the 9 is their salmon reel.

A few things make this a one of a kind reel in my collection. Most notably the drag system; it is a compression disc type which is ran by an oiled Rulon disc which is pressed between to thin stainless steel disc's to produce the drag. A little tinkering and I switched it from a right hand winder to my preferred left hand retrieve. The drag is quite strong, remarkably so!

I haven't gave it a cleaning yet but I did completely dismantle the reel to see what made it tick and to switch the retrieve direction. Behind the disc set which is held to the back plate of the reel by the snap retainer is a series of steel fingers which exert a level pressure to the rear of the disc component when the drag knob is turned to the 'More' setting. The reverse settings are achieved by removing the assembly on the back of the spool and simply flipping an inner bushing.

Here's the size comparison to the MG-3;

At 4 1/8" diameter with a one inch wide spool the MG-9 does meet the criteria for a salmon reel and I am happy to have it in the family here
kelkay, von behr and argail like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have been wanting a MG 7 or 9. I am not sure on the sizes. I usually use 5-7 wt reels. But I have a few 8 wts too. I have maybe 3 light wt reels, and that is it. Nice collection you have there!
Hardyreels likes this.