The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

Hi Kelly,

The #7 is a nice reel, I hope you can find one in good shape. I will send a PM if I run across one. Do you have the e-mail notification linked to your PM's here? If so you'll know when I spot one. I gave 29 dollars for that MG-9 and believe it was well worth the price.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, PM sent.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:15 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=crruns;492450]After a good deal of agonizing, I decided on a Hardy Ultralight 4000 DD to go with my St. Croix 486. After taking it out for a day, I now want to pick up a spare spool, to hold my 5wf line, and use this reel on both my rods, and toss that TFO NXT in the weeds! What a nice, light weight reel!
[./QUOTE]

I wish I had looked into these sooner, I really have no need for a new reel right now but really like these... Tempted to dump one and diversify.

Anyone have salty experience with one of these?

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Almost forgot about my salty/bass guys... this Tibor is very special to me, I bought it when I started a new job/life in Savannah, GA back in '06. My girlfriend at the time bout me an Xi2 890 for my birthday (I know, right?!), and I thought it deserved a reel like this, so I sprung for it. Every time I've used it seems to be a very special memory (though it took me years to use it, that new job had me working 80-100 hr weeks).

Just got this CLA about five months ago to match my BVK 790, anyone else ever seen discoloration like this on the edge of the spool? No gauging, no rough spot... weird

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice reels walker!!
btw....i love this thread

casey

ARFE
Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
nice reels walker!!
btw....i love this thread

casey
Thanks! I concur, this thread is a keeper for sure!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

I grew up reading the big three; Outdoor Life, Sports Afield and Field & Stream. Thus the likes of Joe Brooks, Lee Wulff, Homer Circle, Jack Oconner all had a large impact on me. I had either owned or held/handled all the tackle/gun/lures/tools that I've read about in those magazines starting in the very early '60's (yes I ain't young!).

All save one reel the one Mr. Brooks is using below (pg 71 "Trout Fishing", 1972, Joe Brooks) until now Johnson Magnetic Mod. #5 :

In fact I'd never even seen the other side of this reel. Well one came up on Ebay the other day & I got it for less than your average used 1494 Medalist (another favorite). I jumped on it. When reel came in it was like jumping in Steve McQueen's Cobra from "Bullit", I was this excited:

Stout and darn few parts is the way to describe this reel. Only the Spool & the handle move; really only them. No drag washers, screws, clips, clickers, nada....

The drag appears only to be the force of the permanant magnet that is the shaft. Welded thin wire but strong chrome plated frame. Not light by todays standards but not a "tank" either. The spool has a large bronze bushing that is quite smooth with only a light bit of oil. Since it uses a magnet you have what the drag is and same in both directions. It's on the light side but enought to keep from backlashing when vigorously stripping line. Mr. Brook's pic shows it handles the fish.

One last pic shows the side that caught my eye for so many years:

I have a Fenwick 8wt that is the perfect match for this oldie. Will even be preparing a "Battle of the American vintage 8wt fiberglass rods with also matching American vintage reels shortly" that I'll post in the "Reviews" section soon. You'll have guess the other set.

Pete A.

Last edited by pete a; 10-23-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Pete,

I saw that reel a while back but the one I looked at was beat up. This is a terrific find! If you look back a few pages on the thread you'll see that I lassoed a nice Martin MG-9 Salmon and already have it lined up and it's a perfect balance to my 1964 8'6" Orvis Light Salmon rod. I'm happier than a bug in a rug as I'm sure you are with this Johnson I'll have to do a couple photos of the rod & reel together and post to the Rod Love thread. What rod will you match that beauty up with?

Ard

Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Pete that is really cool! Grew up reading the same mags and I think the Fenwick is the perfect choice as I think that's what Joe was using. That reel is so cool but how about JBs stripping basket! Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow, nice reel pete! very interesting reel indeed
very unique design...

casey

ARFE
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Administrator

I did eventually notice that you already have a rod to match, Duh, I should read more carefully on posts I guess. I do admire the reel,

Ard