The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A Few Words From The Ardster.............

Well I see the Reel Love is going strong, all I can say is 'what a bunch of hardware'! If nothing else it's a great thread for browsing reels and they just keep coming. It is pretty amazing how we gather these things and that we constantly think of one that might just make us feel better about life in general.

At its heart that is what fly fishing is all about isn't it, making us feel better about life in general? I know that being involved in this craft and sport has gotten me over every bump in the road I've came to so far and I look for it to see me through until I die. Of all the things in life I've ever gotten 'involved' with this is the one that stuck and I am thankful for that every day of my existence. I know that there is a world turning and fighting all around me but there is little I can do to stop the mad rush or bring peace to the planet, but I have peace in my mind because I love this thing we call fly fishing.

So keep posting the pictures of your special reels please.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM
sbreech

Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

I think we all love a good fly rod, or a beautifully tied fly, but the fly reel is a much more recliner chair tangible item. We can sit there in that chair, hold the reel, admire the workmanship, the mechanics, the heritage, it's history, and the stories that the backing behind the line has to tell. When we're done, we can put it back on its shelf, or sit it on the coffee table next to us. It isn't quite as feasible to do this with a 10' rod, and to be honest, from 20 feet away, most rods look the same. Our fly reels are, to us, what a mobile is to an infant looking up out of the crib dreaming about the next...oh, what in the heck do babies dream of anyway?? Boobies! OK, so we're not that different from babies.
von behr likes this.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

On another site, somebody or other's signature states that "Shotguns and fly reels are jewelry for men"

I'm afraid that for me they're just tools use to get the job done, and they work well or they don't.
Sentiment counts for extra points, but shiny and new doesn't do much for me
milt spawn likes this.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Well Rip, on some of your statement we differ. Sure reels are just tools but I detest poorly made or designed tools. I don't ask much of a reel but to hold line and let it out smoothly and consistantly. It has to have a weight to it that compliments the rod and be durable too. And it...

Anyhow, added a new baby to my collection just last week....

Not that I needed another 5 weight reel but I couldn't resist getting it because of the genius used in creating such a super-smooth drag system.
The copper fork rides up and down on a cam which is held by the visible phillips screw. The white nylon or Delrin brake pads move across the apex of the very smooth drum with more or less surface area or tension applied with the drag knob to vary the drag amount.
The fact Maryat is a Swiss company didn't hurt my decision to pop for it. I sold many Swiss precision tools during my working career and was always amazed at the quality, thought and workmanship that went into their products.
Now, if only I could afford that Petitjean vise that haunts me.

Click the image to open in full size.

(I hope this Flickr thing works as Photobucket has been photobuggy for the past few days)

I'm not sure when this reel was built but after I got it I noticed the Made in Japan stamped on the reel foot. It might have been built at a time when Japan was trying to make inroads into quality manufacturing and their labor rates were far lower than those of the Swiss.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

sorry jackster, no pics

ARFE
Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Tried Flickr for the above pics. I can see them but who knows? Photobucket now seems to be working in it's latest iteration so I'll give it another go...

mcnerney, kelkay and itchmesir like this.

Last edited by Jackster; 11-18-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Aspen Reels 5-7wt Mid-Arbor... Nice reel.. especially when I only paid $20 for it... and it's made in the USA

mcnerney and kelkay like this.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few recent shots of my St. John.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jason,

it is in mint shape and I'm sure you are just lovin it based on your other comments. While I have had the need to go to some LA reels for Spey line capacity the old classic style just screams fly fishing does it not?

BTW, $20 for that Aspen reel was a steel How did that happen?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Jason,

it is in mint shape and I'm sure you are just lovin it based on your other comments. While I have had the need to go to some LA reels for Spey line capacity the old classic style just screams fly fishing does it not?

BTW, $20 for that Aspen reel was a steel How did that happen?
it was one of those online fishing clubs.. got a $1 double sided fly box.. $2.50 for a Buff.. and that Aspen Reel...