The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

I had a Hardy Swift 1025 Made In England version a few years ago and sold it. I've regretted it ever since because it would have been a good reel for a switch rod; so this MK II version came up on ebay and I jumped on it; has a new speydicator 6wt line too so I just need a good 6wt switch rod now

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great looking hardy wf
what rod are you puttin that bad boy on?

casey

ARFE
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
great looking hardy wf
what rod are you puttin that bad boy on?

casey
Thanks, I'm hoping to put it on a Sage Z-axis 11' 6wt; I'll be on the hunt for a deal all winter
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I like the Swift also, after picking up a Uniqua 11/12 and now seeing this reel of yours I would rather have the Swift on appearance. I haven't posted the Uniqua yet (better get with it) but aside from the finish I expect it will work just fine. Do you know how much this reel of yours weighs ...............

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

wannafish...that reel looks too good. I did NOT need to see that.
wannafish likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Thanks, I'm hoping to put it on a Sage Z-axis 11' 6wt; I'll be on the hunt for a deal all winter
Great looking reel. That's a wonderful rod to fish with, I am loving mine. The reel and the Speydicator line should should make a great pairing with the 6110 Z.
wannafish likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I guess I've waited long enough, I'm hoping that by spring it seems like one of my reels. I ran into a problem a while back; never having felt that my Hardy Spey rod was loading correctly I contacted the people at Carron Lines in Scotland. The rod is a 1981 13' 9" graphite so this was a problem requiring some expertise and that of people who would be familiar with a rod of this make & vintage. Carron took some time to find a "older gentleman" who was "quite familiar with the older Hardy rods", they then prescribed a Carron Jetstream 10/11 weight with a 65' belly. The total length of the line is 130'.

When I tried to replace the 770 grain Partridge Ian Gordon 150' long belly on my Cascapedia 8/9 the problem surfaced. The Big Fat jetstream would not fit on my reel So, what are ya gonna do, I needed a reel and I wanted a Hardy reel.

So;

No doubt this reel will work but it's light, at 8.6 ounces it is considerably light compared to the 12.5 ounce Cascapedia. It is also my first S. Korean reel so there's that to deal with mentally.............
fysh, kelkay, jaybo41 and 3 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Sheer beauty. You did good!!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Ard, the Uniqua is sharp! I eyed one of those on ebay but was outbid. I can't remember what the bare Swift weighs but with the 6wt Speydicator (140') and backing it's just under 10 ounces. The original Swift I had was Made in England and had a few small differences; price (higher), sound (louder), handle (not metal), and slightly different drag(indents were audible as I remember). It was the 1025 which has the same size frame as the 1000 but a deeper spool.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

That's a great looking reel regardless of where it was made. We both know that it will perform, it's a Hardy for goodness sake! My guess is after the first fish or two, any mental roadblocks about the country of origin will be long gone. I hope it gives you the balance you're looking for once paired up with the rod.