The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 02:33 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

A classic reel newby, it'll never go out of fashion, and will fish well for years.
Fitted on a great rod as well, I adore my B11t, just a shame they don't make the BBS in Winston green.
S.
jaybo41, newby and thorsten like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:50 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks MrTrout. The reel was hard to beat for the price. I couldn't find another reel in that weight class that would hold a decent amount of backing and a 3wt line for less than $150. I like the styling of the BBS as well. I, too, would LOVE to see that reel in a Winston Green.

That BIIt is my favorite rod. Just sublime.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
This page has been filled with nice reels, those Abels are gorgeous, but I must make my humble contribution to the thread. A brand new Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock II fly reel arrived today. I really wanted a Galvan Brookie, or a Hardy Lightweight, but it I liked this reel a lot and buying it for $100 meant I can get fly line sooner and get fishing.

It is on my Winston BIIt 8' 3wt. I think the nickel silver reel seat compliments the finish on the reel nicely.

Click the image to open in full size.
Classic setup, great color choice. It will serve you well for years. Not to mention Orvis will take great care of you should you need them. Congrats on your purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtrout View Post
A classic reel newby, it'll never go out of fashion, and will fish well for years.
Fitted on a great rod as well, I adore my B11t, just a shame they don't make the BBS in Winston green.
S.
Great minds Mrtrout! Also agree-- a BBS in Winston Green would be killer. The closest I've seen other than the obvious Perfect would be an Abel in Deep Green.
Hardyreels and codym like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
A brand new Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock II fly reel arrived today.
That is a fine reel Newby and one I fished for many years. You'll see my BBS in the lower left in this picture of some of my reels.

I passed this reel to my nephew, who now is making fine use of it and keeping it fishy for many years to come. My nephew's is an English made one and I've not held the new ones but one thing about Orvis, if anything every happens to that reel, they'll repair it forever. You really can not beat that.

Congrats for the addition. It looks most excellent on that green stick.

Cheers,
Mike.
Hardyreels, jaybo41 and kwb like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

You don't like Abel reels do ya Mike! LOL

Nice collection!
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
You don't like Abel reels do ya Mike! LOL

Nice collection!
Thanks, KWB. I love them It's an older picture, I should post an updated picture that has a few additions to it.

Cheers,
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 AM

g martin is on a distinguished road

Here are a couple of mine, showing why they bring a smile to my face when I think of them

Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

One of my favorites, older Sage 3200. It matches the Old TXL so well. No play or slop , very crisp for a click pawl type of reel.

The little brown was fun, he decided to run in the fast water when I got him, so that 3wt was tested.

Hardyreels, jaybo41 and thorsten like this.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

Snowing today and I got bored!
Something about the last generation English made CFOs....I know Orvis gets a bad rap from time to time, but some of their stuff just looks right. (IMHO)

Joni, Hardyreels, Pocono and 9 others like this.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

So this is why I do not shop, went into the local fly shop to pick up some new fly line (Mastery Textured) and picked up some flies made by them. Left with a new Hardy 4000DD black edition, sweet part was he put the line on for me which I knew he would but gave me 15 flies for free, which I thought was awesome. So I will definitely be using that shop again, I usually am an in and out person at this store, but stuck around and talked to the guy for a bit, so while pricing may not be as cheap as online sometimes, it will be nice knowing I am supporting guys like him.

The black edition is so sexy, and since I love Hardy. I originally wanted the plain one, but I like this black one.

Last edited by stuie675; 01-27-2013 at 06:50 AM.