The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Burke... how did you manage to get Rusty's reel?
He is missed.
I saw him back in September (last time) when I was calling on the store for Cortland. He knew I liked Hardy reels and he said he had this one laying around. And he offered it to me. I'm not sure if he or one of his guides used it. Either way I'm not parting with it.

I'm thinking about selling the 1903. It's the one that gets the least use, and I have a (sample) St. George 2 7/8" laying around that I love. More about that later. I also may brake down and stick a Korean Cascapadia on my Bamboo. I love the old English ones, but it's not like I don't already have a few. The new Korean reels (classics) are all Hardy, machined, with identical specs. I certainly can't afford many more British ones. I have mixed feelings about the Abels, they are certainly very well made and functional. But they don't sound like a Hardy when the fish run. Although there's one plus to that, that sound can be a dinner bell to the Bears when you're fishing Alaska.

As far as single malts, My two favorites aren't in the picture, Lagavullen 16 and Talisker 10. I'm still warming up to Bowmore 12, but Lagavullen ALWAYS makes my mouth water.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Burk,

I haven't experienced any bears that were tuned into the sound of a Hardys zing but there's always a first. I know a guy here who wrote an article about fishing in bear country that proved to be a great help in avoiding them.

About the Cascapedia; I purchased an 8/9 for my salmon fishing last year. It is far and away the premier reel for handling the fish I encounter. They possess a truly good drag. Prior to the Cascapedia I have used many reels including some Orvis Odyssey's and the Hardy is smother and offers better control over the tension adjustment while landing fish.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
As far as single malts, My two favorites ....Lagavullen 16.....

QFT. That is all.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my son Nico's Vivarelli reel....I offered it to him last year,a bit heavier than the carbon one but really beautiful
Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Nice JP,

I still like the single actions.................... but that is pretty
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Don't feel bad Ard, I just found this response I usually use floating lines, but did line up the Okuma wtih a 6 wt sinking line, and actually used it at Pyramid lake once so far. I typically use anywhere from 5 to 9 foot leaders, and after seeing Frank's post may get a couple 12 footers or builld a 15 footer for still water fishing. seems like this would be a lot easier to cast then trying to get the sinking line out there.

d
Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Time for some more reel love, it's that time of year when all I can do is wipe them down and check the springs until next season. If you are new to this thread you might as well go back to the first post and start from there. A lot of people have posted their fly reel pictures on here.

These are some I have not put on yet, I still have some old Pfluegers and Martins to put on too. The first three are Hardy Marquis #'s 4, 5, & 7 and the two light weight models added in the second picture are my 1979 Princess and the big reel is a 1964 St. Andrew salmon reel.

Marquis #4, #5, and a #7

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Two Lightweight series reels, The Princess 3.5" & St. Andrew salmon at 4.25";

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

These are all spring and pawl drag systems but they are very effective with strong checks when you tighten them down. I just love the old school looks of a Hardy reel on a fly rod.

Ard
kelkay, von behr and freebird630 like this.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:09 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Beautiful reels Ard!
Hardyreels likes this.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-18-2010, 12:52 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

Galvan Standard 3.25

Old 12-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Now there's one you don't see a lot of. What weight rod do you use that with? Nice reel,

Ard