The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by crruns View Post
I had a tough time deciding on weather to go with the black or the original finish for my 4000dd. The black really looks good!
Yeah seeing it in person really made a difference. The black is almost like a matte black, not sure how they colored it, but it feels very solid and like it will hold up for a long time.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Two workhorses strapped to a pair of Scott S3s series rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
The Twins in Basic Black.

If these two Abel Super 8’s could talk, they’d regale us with tales of far off places, exotic and domestic species they’ve bested and of grand days in the sun.
One has a minor case of reef rash on it’s frame, from a near face plant I did on a barnacle encrusted finger reef years ago. I wouldn’t trade that day or the reel, for all the kings gold.

Click the image to open in full size.

Outfits: Made in the U.S.A.
Reels: California
Rods: Colorado
Lines and Backing: New York and Idaho.

TT
Nice Abel's TT. My favorite reels bar none.

Cheers,
Mike.
Hardyreels and kelkay like this.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I was rooting through some pictures and found these of what I would consider to be my favorite set up for trout fishing in my home waters. Sage ZXL 486-4 with an Abel pt.5 spooled with Airflow Ridge Tactical. I love this set up.

Here's my Abel Von Behr Super 4N spooled with Rio Gold WF4. I can't tell exactly which rod I have it on because of the shadow but from the looks of the cork and reel seat it is probably my Sage SLT 490-4.

Here's my Abel Super 4N in HD Brown Trout. This is also on my ZXL 486-4 - this time lined with SA GPX Textured WF4 line for short casts in a very stiff breeze that day.

Abel Big Game 0 "ought" lined with SA Textured Trout Stalker WF3 wt. on a Sage 389-2LL

Sorry - couldn't resist that one caught on a nice sunny day with caddies all over the place. Fly tied by Jaybo41 and it's simply a deadly caddis imitation.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a whole lot of amazing outfits to choose from your quiver Chi. No doubt that ZXL paired with the PT.5 has landed you a ridiculous number of fish

Speaking of your quiver, it's time to update this thread with your most recent haul
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

With all of the Abel's posted lately, I thought I would share a baby Abel. Would have liked a black one, but got a good deal on this platinum finish one. It is really small!

-Chase
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 PM

Here's a couple of additions to the quiver:

Abel 3N

Abel 3N in action - Lined with SA GPX Textured WF 8 wt. on a Loomis Native Run GLX 10' 8 wt. rod. I was hunting for Kings and Steelhead on the Pere Marquette but I wasn't gonna throw this brown out of the net without a picture

Here is the same reel on a Sage XP 890-4 with a smaller Pere Marquette King.

Here is my Abel Super 6 loaded with SA GPX Textured WF 8 wt. on a Sage XP 690-4

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

There was a thread a while ago about anti-reverse reels, and I just picked up this used Islander AR 4.5. Its getting mounted on my TFO Bluewater HD and spooled with a 750 grain full-sink Rio Leviathan line. It came spooled with 600 yards of gel spun backing, but I couldn't be sure of the strength or age so its gone. Its destined to tangle with some Tuna and Billfish.

Just for comparrisons sake, I placed a fun-ticket beside the reel to show its size.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Great reel Homer! Awesome ruler!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I love the above and virtually all Abels but Islander gets short shrift and it should not, though more limited in models and void of artistic exotic finishes, they are equally fine true draw-bar big fish stoppers.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

We recommend Islanders to all our bookings for Tarpon. If they cry poor, then we have other recommendations, but we sear by the Islanders. The cork drag in the 4.5 can be cynched down tightly enough to break off 30 pound leader....as has been done by a few mis-informed souls that thought they could man-handlle a big Tarpon!

As Rulers go, a "fun ticket" works just fine.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.