The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

I saw a Medalist last night in a display case that had an unpainted, metal, spool release latch cover rather than the white plastic I've always seen. I couldn't examine it but it had the old style turned pillars as well a circular metal line guard. Cool. Any one know about such an obviously early example?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go, SNS.

First reel in this history is, I think, the one that you're talking about. Worth a pretty penny today in top shape.

"Pflueger Medalist Reels - A History - Fly Angler's OnLine Volumn 7 week 41

Pocono
Hardyreels and leithel like this.

Last edited by Pocono; 03-22-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Thanks and yes, that was it. So it is a 1492 from between 1937 - 1939.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
We recommend Islanders to all our bookings for Tarpon. If they cry poor, then we have other recommendations, but we sear by the Islanders. The cork drag in the 4.5 can be cynched down tightly enough to break off 30 pound leader....as has been done by a few mis-informed souls that thought they could man-handlle a big Tarpon!

As Rulers go, a "fun ticket" works just fine.
They are heavy but they sure do work hard! Pretty wild story about an Islander, I have a friend who is a guide up here in the NE. He swears by T&T and Islander reels. A customer dropped a 10wt setup overboard during a spring charter. Late in the Fall he was contacted that someone had brought up his reel (his name and the boat's name is engraved in his reels). He sent it back to Islander where it was rebuilt and re anodized. It's still fishing today, that's pretty badass in my book.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

Click the image to open in full size.
my Cabelas Wind River Canyon. Works great for a cheaper reel. Bought it cuz i like the way it looks, but I really like it. have it on my TFO Pro 1 8' 4wt
my Cabelas prestige Plus II that I picked up from a member here last year, very nice working reel.

My Shakespeare 1094 that came on my Walmart special. Works pretty good actually. its on my 8' 5/6 wt i keep in the truck for emergency getaways!

All in all a pretty cheap line up, but very functional and thats what matters most, to me anyways. There are some fine looking reels on here, someday i'll drop the coin for a top shelf reel, but not til I have a top shelf rod to put it on I guess.
Hardyreels, sbreech and baseman1 like this.

Last edited by Mnflyfish; 03-21-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post

The first is a Galvan T-18, to go with an undetermined 14wt.
Good lord, that thing is a BEAST! I'm jealous. Too bad there aren't any fish big enough around here to use such a monster reel... except maybe the sturgeon we have on the main Snake River. Now that's an idea...
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Yeah it's huge, I can't wait to get to Baja in May to give it a workout. I don't have the reel yet but I have played with them before. Here's a little taste of how big these reels are....

The Tibor Pacific next to an Abel super 11, I'll put up a comparison of all three when the Galvan gets here.
Hardyreels, argail and mista_bob like this.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

SweetandSalt, this a site you may also enjoy. https://www.onepfoot.com/Home.php

Here you can find the needed parts to rebuild an old Medalist needing a few parts, or you can also purchase parts to upgrade the later models towards a more classic design.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

And my entry post into this fly reel thread, Presents the Bivans Arnold

Besides, its beautiful classic aesthetics. What I really like about it, Is the unique construction in how it is designed to perform.

The above article is an interesting read. I have yet to fish this reel, and due to its condition believe its never yet got the chance to serve it intended purpose in life.

Last edited by charged; 03-22-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Wow; never seen anything like it! From the prices in the article I gather that is a rather ancient reel in spectacular condition.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
SweetandSalt, this a site you may also enjoy. https://www.onepfoot.com/Home.php

Here you can find the needed parts to rebuild an old Medalist needing a few parts, or you can also purchase parts to upgrade the later models towards a more classic design.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

And my entry post into this fly reel thread, Presents the Bivans Arnold

Besides, its beautiful classic aesthetics. What I really like about it, Is the unique construction in how it is designed to perform.

The above article is an interesting read. I have yet to fish this reel, and due to its condition believe its never yet got the chance to serve it intended purpose in life.

wow! what an interesting reel rarely see reels of that age in such pristine condition
is that a cabelas cgr glass it's mounted on per chance?
thanks for sharing this beauty (from a self admitted reelaholic)!

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE