The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

I've had this reel for quite some time but never took my own pictures of it. Still feeling a bit lazy about breaking out the camera and tripod for pictures, but I do have those provided to me by the seller last year.

I have an old Martin MG-3 that I inherited from a good friend who passed away in 1992. The reel bears every scar that Charlie gave to it and I use it very infrequently. I had thought for some time that I would like another which did not have the boat rash of my first.

After a couple years of looking about I found one sold in 1980 and provided with the original sale receipt, an extra spool, and a leather pouch for safe transport.

Click the image to open in full size.

Although the pictures are not exactly artsy, they do show the pristine condition of the reel and were enough to prompt me to pay a tad over 3 times what the set sold for in 1980

It is my belief that these reels are equal to the Hardy Featherweight's in vintage or classic appeal and they have a very good drag system built into them, made in Mohawk NY. of course. I know I don't need it but one day I'll find or build a little fiberglass rod for a 3/4 weight line and use the reel............. Why a salmon fisherman who uses Spey rods did this I do not know

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice ard!!
classic martin new in box w/ spool

casey

ARFE
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelesshero View Post

I fish a hardy and love it! I have this reel in a 5-6wt on a grey's rod to kinda match. Wish I had a matching Hardy rod!
I've had my eye on these for awhile, and would say that visually there one of the most striking reels ever made! I don't know what it is about that design, but its one that pleases my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I've had this reel for quite some time but never took my own pictures of it. Ard
I've been trying very hard to get my hands on the reel you pictured for a long time now. I got a large Martin collection I will post one of these days. I'd make you a decent offer, but shipping costs would most likely hinder the attempt. Any chance you might part with the scarred reel?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

New Solitude 2 Reel on my Fenwick Feralite FF79

Interesting Reel more pictures and a review to follow

Fred
Hardyreels and argail like this.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I can literally post all day in a thread like this. I'd like to share more reels, but many of my perspective posts, have already been posted on other sites. Are there any negative feelings here on duplicate posts that may have been previously posted on other fly-fishing sites, by me?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

no prob here!

ARFE
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 PM

Ok then, ........ A used Medalist.................. (pulling up old history)

For just 4$ I decided to take a risk on this one. Its a 1495 and if I did my research right, I think its from 1939.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

I haven't attempted to clean it up yet, and was wondering if I should just start with a vinegar / water bath. Any other idea's would be welcome. The drag plate is frozen right now, so I'm going to have to work that free.

I can already see that I'll need to replace a few parts, one is the brake adjustment screw which I plan to order from One-Pfoot. it's also missing the round line guard (what a bummer!), but has both pins to hold it on place. It looks like One-Pfoot only makes them for the 1494. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? If not, I'm going to see what I might be able to accomplish, with one of these metal rings I picked up at the hardware store.

In the worst case scenario, I'll just remove what remains of the two pins, and leave the frames line guard open. But I'm really hoping to eventually find the correct round line guard, and one day back get one back in place.

For all the corrosion on the reel body, I feel that I got lucky with the handle, it spins freely.

I'm hoping to be able to restore this one enough, that I will be able to fish it this spring.

So far this is the oldest medalist in my collection. It took me a couple years to find one this old, at a price I was willing to pay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2 (the spring is still good too, just needed to be stretched out a little).

With the screw part that was to sent me, and now that I got the pin working, I was able to salvage this reel into a fisher. I did end up repainting the frame with some very light coats, but thought it looked too new and weird. Before the paint was fully dry, I started buffing it out pretty aggressively with a pencil eraser and a paper towel, I ultimately lucked into a pretty attractive finish. I just took these pics a few minutes ago. This is the same "Junk" reel that is in the earlier posts. The only non-original components that did not come in the original purchase are the fresh coat of paint, and the P-Foot screw Ron sent me.

I tried to purposely put some wear back into the finish.

Here is the medalist all dissembled.

And now assembled

Now the only thing I'm missing is the line guide, the two pins that hold the ring in place are still on the reel. I cant wait to get it out fishing!

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

The discerning, will notice that in my last pic the adjustment drag screw is not flush........When I took the pic, I still needed to set the pin.

I've already caught some fish on this reel.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow!

What a wonderful job you've done with this reel! I know you're proud of what you've done and I'm proud that we have people like you posting on the forum and onto this thread.

I really like that reel,

Ard

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
I can literally post all day in a thread like this. I'd like to share more reels, but many of my perspective posts, have already been posted on other sites. Are there any negative feelings here on duplicate posts that may have been previously posted on other fly-fishing sites, by me?
If you want to share them here just...................

Go to the other site and bring up your thread.

Then go to Edit and copy your text and photos from the post.

Now come back to the window / tab that you have open here and paste the copy into a post.

After pasting choose 'Go Advanced' at the bottom of your post window and preview your post to be sure it all transferred.

That's all there is to it.

As for selling the MG-3, I would like to find a suitable 7' Lamiglass blank and make up a rod for it in 3/4 weight. I don't know what I'll use it for or when I'll fish with it but would like to keep it.

I will keep you in mind and send you a PM whenever I find another, or if I have a change of mind.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 PM

Your just now seeing my best work, every post from here on out of mine will be a disappointment. .........
Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 PM

awesome restoration man!!
that's a classic beauty
bravo my friend.....

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE