The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM

highjumper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Posted these to another thread, but thought I'd share a side by side comparison of a Hatch Finatic 3 Plus and Ross F1 #3. Enjoy!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM

bpeterson will become famous soon enough

My new Allen, hoping to put it to good use today!
baseman1 and bmbailes like this.

Last edited by bpeterson; 04-16-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I got a few martins to post. I really like these blue collar reels.

If someone told me that some new law was put in place, and reels nicer than martins could no longer be produced. It would not effect my fishing even one bit.

There are so many Martins, I believe there has got to be one for every possible circumstance.

Its no secret to me that my approach may rub a few the wrong way. I'm a guy who buys stuff really cheap, restores it..... then fishes it.

I got to add, I really love these martins, along with the equivalent medalists...

I have even more martins, but the others are disk drags...... I have plans in place to sell those disk drag models on e-bay, as they really do not fit my style.. If anyone wants to see detailed pics or needs any information........on any of these models pictured, please ask (I will provide).

I also fish some nicer reels (orvis / lamson/ allen), but the honest truth be told ........ I personally don't need any thing nicer, in my style of fly fishing! I feel the blue collar reels offer everything I truly need.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

_____________________ ______________________ ___________________________ __________________________ ____________________________ _________________________ ________________________________

Internet opinions are often a dime a dozen. Here is another pic that hopefully helps backs my stated "personnel opinion"., And helps give some validity to the opinions I have presented.

For me these are luxury items, much like a Mercedes, or BMW..... I don't really need them, sometimes I will take them out for a drive. I'm sure for many of you guys, what I consider my nicer reels...... might be considered your junk..

Cost will always be relative to ones income.

Last edited by charged; 04-12-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Charged,

I've got an MG-7 and an MG-9 posted on here somewhere, both are in pretty sweet shape for being used at their age. Total, there are 5 Martin reels here. My most often used reel is a 1978 (purchase year) Hardy Featherweight. These were the high end Martin MG-3 and I use it more than anything I've ever owned.

You're probably correct in that for standard trout fishing the old Martins and Pflueger reels are plenty for getting it done. I do have a few Mercedes reels for salmon because they make it easier to handle big strong fish.

Nice bunch of hardware there,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

charged,
great collection of reels you have there
that grey mg-72 multiplier brings back allot
of fond memories(my go to salmon reel growing up in AK)
you rarely see them in that condition....nice.
thanks for sharing your "reel love"

casey

ARFE
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
charged,
great collection of reels you have there
that grey mg-72 multiplier brings back allot
of fond memories(my go to salmon reel growing up in AK)
you rarely see them in that condition....nice.
thanks for sharing your "reel love"

casey

Casey, Laughing out loud. (I refuse to use internet language)....... I got to find a post for you, as this was one of the biggest junk salvation reels I have ever restored. I bet it now performs allot nicer than the day it left the factory.... (Looking at it today, it's pretty nice with all the customization that has been done).

The steps I provided, Can turn a average reel, into something that performs much better.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

The complete story can be found here, hope you enjoy it! http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/foru...hp?f=4&t=15190

With the customization steps I performed on this reel, nearly every martin that is out there performance can be dramatically improved...... not just a little, but 10 fold ....................... that means (a- lot). The way they left the factory, leaves us tinkerers, a lot we can improve on.
caseywise likes this.

Last edited by charged; 04-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Charged, that is a great collection you have there. I have a bunch of blue collar reels too. I don't know what it is, but I just love them. The real test is to clean them, add line, and fish them. If I really like them, I will be keeping them. Some are not quite as pleasing to me, as I thought they would be. I like my reels to have music going in, and music going out. Some people complain that it is noise to them. But it is music to me. I look for deals too. Most of the time, I come out smelling like a rose on a purchase.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 PM

Most Martins I purchase, have loose handles........ Never disclosed in the sale.... In the near future I'll provide easy to follow steps to provide a solution to this problem any idiot can follow........ If you got a shop vice and a hammer, once i provide pics, this will be a very easy repair step for any fly reel.

I'm sure many of you guys have purchased 2nd hand reels with this problem.........With a simple explanation, this is a quick five minute fix, just about any one could easily accomplish.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

My jig is simple...

First thing you need is a stiff piece of metal.... I purchased a punch set from harbor and freight. Any old nail would probably do the same trick.

Some reels do not have a opposing hole to the handle, another simple fix...... (I just drill one). Loose handles are common problems in vintage reels, this causes sneaky people to pass them off. This problem can easily be tackled with common household tools.

The next thing you need is a shop vice, mine came with the 2nd hand house.

Position the pin, in the vice, and give a few reel love taps with the hammer

It seems complicated, but its just simple physics..... This is the same way these handles were applied at the factory....... I can't even tell you how many reels I repaired using this same method.

If any one has any questions, feel free to ask.

Ive read reports of people using jb-weld, and epoxy.... Sometimes the simplest right way to fix things, is also the best!

I hope at least one person reading this, will benefit! Just last night I repaired three of my loose handled reels in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by charged; 04-12-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM

wallym3 is on a distinguished road

I see that since joining I have contributed but 4 posts. I haven't been much of a Forum visitor nor poster anywhere in some time.

I've scrolled this thread, stopping at items of particular interest, with much enjoyment. As a half-baked, self-taught machinist, I can't help but being drawn in by reels. In scrolling the entirety of the thread I have discovered much new and have been reminded of much forgotten, and have spent someworthwhile time at it. Unless contained in some of the deleted photos, I thought I might add my poor kin to this effort material that has not been previously mentioned.

The first is, of course, a Bogdan, one of quite a number that have passed through my hands (some stuck to them) over the years. "There are many like it, but this one is" special to me. Stan handed it to me over lunch here in SW Vermont one day a couple of years ago. The event was witnessed by Bob Warren (who had something to do with the speed of delivery) and Bob Hilliard, so as you can imagine, it was a most entertaining and companionable meal. The reel is a 150 RHW and already has Miramichi fish to its credit.

One note: the weight of the bag is significantly heavier than the ones he used earlier on.

This second is a no name, completely without markings. I suspect it was crafted by some talented amateur. I have a mind to copy it for its "old time" grace. The plates are aluminum.

It's almost too light to be practical, though sturdy enough.

This final submission has yet to see water, nor has any other of its model since this is a prototype Kineya 705 (L). The "L" is my designation. It is a lightened version of Mas's 705. The notion of lightening this 4" diameter reel had been on Mas's mind (along with several other creative musings) and the commitment was forged at the last Catskill Rod Makers Gathering with delivery a few short weeks later.

The rims are polished stainless steel. That smoky, patinated look of NS is a proprietary process that he's developed (and will not reveal, no matter how much beer lubricates the interrogation).

Here's part of the lightening:

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Click the image to open in full size.

A little OT, but of interest are a pair of hair stackers he made using the same metal treatment.

Anyway, I hope this adds something to an entirely enjoyable and educational (for me, at least) thread.

Wally.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

And at the risk of wearing out my bandwidth privileges, Folks might be interested in this early Mohlin reel.

Here it is taken down (it had a stripped thread) next to a set of trammels I made for measuring distance between holes in reel work.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

And at the risk of being totally excoriated, I post this pic of an ensemble that I had done for me by several uniquely skilled craftsmen over a period of some years. The reel is a Marriott reel accompanied by matching conceits. I rarely see Marriotts any more, even on ebay. I wish I had gotten more as they were smooth, sweet sounding reels.

Last edited by wallym3; 04-13-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road

This was my 5 year anniversary gift from my amazing wife. Just got it in last week and can't wait to get it on the water.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous