The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

Well, the picture I just posted is already out of date :P

The Konic has sold and is going off to its new owner today, and I may or may not have ordered another Black Guru in size 4 to replace it.......

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

My latest.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pretty isn't she? Turn her over, and she exposes her ugly side!

Reading post's and stories helped grow my interest in one day fishing a Hardy. I finally found one that fits my budget.

Its definitely better constructed then the copies I have, and truth be told it's damaged looks are starting to grow on me. I even read a few reports that stated about 70 years ago before palming rims became common, some anglers were modifying there reels in this same way.

I'm going to fish it, it feels great.... and if I'm lucky, one day I'll find a use for that exposed palming rim.
Hardyreels and milt spawn like this.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

When my brother and I were still in college, we would take 2 to 4 week summer backpacking adventures up in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Though careful to avoid camps up creeks that showed bear sign, precautions sometimes still needed to be taken. Lashing a stone to a hank of cord, I tossed it over a Doug Fir limb to hoist our food cache to a safe height. A good throw; I watched as the rock arched over the intended branch and descend toward the needle carpeted forest floor interrupted by but one thing. My 5 piece, Scott-Pow-R-Ply glass rod was leaning against another tree and the rock just missed hitting it, it hit its LRH Lightweight instead. Cracked and bent the reel's cast frame prevented the spool from being removed but did not throw the reel out of round, so it worked just fine.

There don't happen to be any tackle shops up the North Fork of the Sun but that winter I mailed my reel to Alnwick and a Hardy craftsman cut and dovetailed in a new bit of frame. Good as new, you can just make out the cut lines in the metal if you look closely.
Hardyreels and shotgunfly like this.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great story S&S. That certainly adds some character and personal value to that LRH of yours. That's something that has intrigued me each time I get an old piece of tackle. I find it interesting when you can get some of the history behind the reel itself and if possible the owners. The stories that equipment could tell if only it could speak.

Charged, is that a Uniqua or a Viscount?
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 05-09-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Looks like a good user Hardy Hydra to me. You have not heard a loud real until you have heard a Hydra.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Good eye there Chased. I'm fairly certain you're right now that I look at the photo again. Good call.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

On the left my Hardy Ultra Lite DD 5000. No backing on the reel as of yet.

Hardyreels, kelkay and caseywise like this.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

beautiful reels michael!

ARFE
Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I haven't been on here in quite a while. I'm glad to see this thread is still alive.

I've been sticking it to the fish as much as I can and acquiring some new gear along the way.

Here are the latest. If anyone has a cure for this affliction...
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Glad to see you back; soon as I saw your post I thought.'he has been absent for at least a year or more'. Closest we have is a Social Group called 'Tackle Junkies'. At least if you join the threads there you'll be among others..........

Ard
von behr and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;