The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Thanks, Ard. It's good to be back on here. While I acknowledge the affliction, I'm reluctant to seek help. This is too much fun.

Fly fishing is therapy, and it its good.

Here's one of my recent customers. I've caught many surf perch, but none as big as this guy:

Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers,

-VB
Hardyreels, kelkay and grouch like this.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Von Behr,

Seeing all them beautiful Abels made me cry a little.
von behr likes this.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I just had to sell off all my Abels, Tibors, and now the Galvans are on their way out..... not to mention I had to sell my boat too. It sucks big time but I need a new weld rig for work more than a bunch of super nice reels(and I still have my old 12' alum/10hp johnson). So.....

I picked up a few new Allens'.... Since they changed the drag I wanted to see what they had to offer, and I'm pretty impressed. I had to switch things up a bit though the turquoise and orange/red just wasn't doing it for me. I think I'm going to get another set so I have all my lines/rods I use during the summer covered(and so I can get the correct model/size # on the foot). Not sure why Allen doesn't off these color combo's(manufacturing costs?), I personally think they look alot better. I also think a black with turquoise hardware would look great too.... but hey, thats just me.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:39 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

SWEET!! i love the change up! and of course, Allen reels are awesome
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I had been thinking of moving my red pieces to my gold Alpha and the black over to the blue, that might convince me to work on it.
Hardyreels and bmbailes like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Color swapping & coordinating the reels.............. Yep, that's a bad case of Reel Love if ever I've seen one
kelkay, jaybo41, caseywise and 1 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Do you folks know how long it takes to read every page on this thread? I stopped counting, but I tell you I had to change my shirt three times because the front of it was getting wet. By page sixty I just tucked a towel under my chin and rallied on.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

wishin, I never notice just how much the Allens look like Nautilus NVs. Pretty neat looking reels. Shame to see the Abels go though.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
Do you folks know how long it takes to read every page on this thread? I stopped counting, but I tell you I had to change my shirt three times because the front of it was getting wet. By page sixty I just tucked a towel under my chin and rallied on.
Best post yet I think..............

When I wrote the original post I knew there were people who were secretly fondling their reels. So I thought I'd confess my own behavior and post pictures of my reels. As you see there are many members who have it a lot worse than me

Ard
swirlchaser likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Finally found an original Ross R series reel in immaculate condition at a reasonable price. It even came with a spare spool. It is silent on the retrieve and going out - quite different than the Hardy's I usually fish. It is the smoothest reel I have ever owned. In my opinion, the Original R series reels are some of the best looking reels in existence, a modern classic if you will. I hope to find the other reels in the series and also some solid spools.

Ross R2 on my Kabuto 805 built by Matt Leiderman.