The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Welcome to the family T12.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a whole lotta reel right there Swirl. Love the tight shot you posted of it.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
That's a whole lotta reel right there Swirl. Love the tight shot you posted of it.
Thank You,
I promised my two hander more surf time this year so I figured I'd get it a suitable mate. If your going to take long walks along the beach you should be in good company

did I go too far with the "Reel Love" thing?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not even close to too far, at least by my standards. Looking at your photo of the T12 reminds me how much I love my T6. They're beautiful and well made reels that will undoubtedly put you and your two hander in good company.
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

It's been a while since I posted an update to this thread, so I figured I'd add a couple from my March and April fishing excursions.

Sage 506 on a Sage SP 589-5, loaded with RIO Gold WF5

Sage 505L on a Sage ZXL 490-4, loaded with Airflow Ridgeline Tactical Trout WF4

Sage 504L on a Sage ZXL 486-4, loaded with RIO Gold WF4

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

You know why you like those reels so much don't ya? They were made by my favorite reel makers............... beautiful reels, if I had an old Sage rod I would need a reel like you have there for it for sure.

Ard
chi flyfisher likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Different ends of the spectrum but both Swirl's new Galvan; I like the way they engraved their name inside the hollow drag knob, good design..let us know how it feels attached to a mega stripper, and Chi, except for the nymph instead of a dry fly that is a beautiful outfit. One doesn't see a lot of those Hardy-built Sage reels around. For a non reel maker, Sage has exhibited solid good taste in reels branded by them illustrated by yours and including their current Korean ones. Though, remarkably, I don't own one, I caught my best permit ever on a borrowed Sage stacked drag reel mounted on a #9 TCR. I am going to attempt to improve on that next week and, in the unlikelihood I am successful, I will post an image of my current preferred reel for such fishing.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Mike, nice rigs! I'd really love to add one of those reels to 490 SLT. I see you've got a 505 490 Z, does it feel alright compared to the 504? I know the specs on these reels, how much size difference is there? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Mike, nice rigs! I'd really love to add one of those reels to 490 SLT. I see you've got a 505 490 Z, does it feel alright compared to the 504? I know the specs on these reels, how much size difference is there? Thanks!
I'll try and shoot a picture of the 505L next to the 504L and illustrate the difference.

The 504 is rated at WF4/100. The 505 is rated at WF5/90. I prefer the 505L on the 490, the 504L felt just a little light to me, but understand that I prefer a little heavier reel than most. You will note on the pictures that I have a 506 on my SP 589-5. The 505L is actually perfect for that, but I put the 506 on it because I want to fish with it. Balance wise, it's a nice match for me but I think the 505L is better, especially because it's a shorter 5.

To provide you with an example that may help clarify how I like my reels, I have a Hardy Made CFO III. I hate it on my ZXL 486-4 because it's too light for me. I ended up putting that CFO on my 389-2 Sage LL which is a perfect fit for me. The 504L is perfect for that 486-4. It would fish fine for most on a 490-4 ZXL - but I like the 505L better. Confused

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
I'll try and shoot a picture of the 505L next to the 504L and illustrate the difference.

The 504 is rated at WF4/100. The 505 is rated at WF5/90. I prefer the 505L on the 490, the 504L felt just a little light to me, but understand that I prefer a little heavier reel than most. You will note on the pictures that I have a 506 on my SP 589-5. The 505L is actually perfect for that, but I put the 506 on it because I want to fish with it. Balance wise, it's a nice match for me but I think the 505L is better, especially because it's a shorter 5.

To provide you with an example that may help clarify how I like my reels, I have a Hardy Made CFO III. I hate it on my ZXL 486-4 because it's too light for me. I ended up putting that CFO on my 389-2 Sage LL which is a perfect fit for me. The 504L is perfect for that 486-4. It would fish fine for most on a 490-4 ZXL - but I like the 505L better. Confused

Cheers,
Mike.
Clear as mud!! Thanks.