The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 10:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

another medalist....i'm addicted lol!

Click the image to open in full size.

casey
kelkay, von behr, charged and 2 others like this.

ARFE
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

above reel 45.00 tyd
pm if interested.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

i should add it has a light rash on the back of the frame.

ARFE
Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I believe medalists often get overlooked just because how common and unassuming they are. I often fish them, and they are one of the most bullet proof reliable reels that could be found.

There a little heavier than the alternatives, but if you can stomach lining one of them up too your rod, performance will be the least of your worries.
kelkay likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 PM

1flyjedi will become famous soon enough

Hey everyone,

Here are my current reels/outfits:

G. Loomis Venture 3 with a Rio Trout LT WF2 line on a 7'6" Redington Classic Trout 2wt rod

Orvis Access III with a SA Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper WF5 line on a 9' Orvis Clearwater 5wt rod

Galvan Torque 8 with a SA Sharkskin Magnum Taper WF8 line on a 9' Sage ONE 8wt rod

I also have an extra spool for my T-8 rigged up with a SA Streamer Express Intermediate Clear Sink Tip 250 grain

Old 06-30-2013, 07:48 PM

big guy i picked up for 10 bucks.....

not sure what, but thinking olympic

casey

ARFE
Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Yeah it looks like my Olympic 490 reel. I have a second one but it is missing in our packed up home. Mine is a beautiful reel that next summer will be lined with a 10 wt line for Muskie and stripers.
caseywise likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Some nice rigs Jedi,

Casey, I don't know but for $10 how could you say no, nice shape.

You guys have seen this reel before but not out fishing. You know I just entered the large arbor reel game a couple years ago with that Vortex 11/12 reel. I got the reel pictured in new old stock condition from a friend at an Anchorage shop for $150.

The drag is wonderful and although it's different than my old Cascapedia the index clicker is easy to get used to when you need to dial up some tension.

Used with the Winston rod they make a great team and I look forward to needing the drag.

The fly on the reel keeper is one of Jason's (jaybo41) tube tied Intruder variations of the AK. Assassin, a great pattern! Tomorrow maybe a picture of my Hardy with a fish in the back ground huh

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I picked up my next project reel "A Hardy Lightweight".

It has a cracked frame, had a missing pawl, and a had a latch that did not match up to the reel. One of the previous owners had striped the finish before it got to me.

I decided to take the chance on it, and happy that I did. After receiving it, I'm confident I'll be able to restore it back to a semi-respectable level.

I've already cut a new pawl, using the one it already had as a template for the missing one. Next I tackled the latch, the one that came with the reel was too thick and never engaged, so I thinned it down a little at a time until it just barely engaged. It's now very tight, and has absolute zero play. (The latch being too thick was actually a blessing in disguise as I was able to eliminate all the play).

The next project in the restoration process will be re-pairing the cracked frame. I'm going to pin it to make sure the repair holds solid. The red marks in the photo are where the pins will be put in place.

When I'm done I'll post more photos, it should turn out to be a nice fisher.

Wow, these things are super light!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

The first cracked frame I ever repaired was on a pflueger sal-trout, using the same technique. The repair on this reel is difficult to see, I'm hoping to achieve similar results on the Hardy. The red slashes within the rectangle again indicate the pins that were put in place to repair the frame.

Last edited by charged; 07-01-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

The Vortex paired with your Winston rod looks like an ideal match. I'm hoping you'll be putting the drag and rod to a good test in the not so distant future! The intruder looks like it still has a nice shape when wet, I'm glad they're fishing well for you!

Charged,

That's really interesting that you're able to repair reels like the ones you've posted. I have to ask, would you be willing to take some photos as you work on the LRH and do a write up on your progress? I'd love to see the effort that goes into something like this. Even if only an update with finished product, I'm already looking forward to seeing it.

That reel once restored, should provide you many enjoyable days on the water.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough

Charged, just an idea, but it looks like you could have the frame welded. Since I assume you wouldn't have a tig welder you could take it to maybe an auto body shop or a welding shop and have them put a small tack weld on the cracks. Then you can file it smooth. Just an idea though and I'm not sure it would suit your needs seeing as you've fixed them before. And +1 on the pics as you work.