I picked up my next project reel "A Hardy Lightweight".
It has a cracked frame, had a missing pawl, and a had a latch that did not match up to the reel. One of the previous owners had striped the finish before it got to me.
I decided to take the chance on it, and happy that I did. After receiving it, I'm confident I'll be able to restore it back to a semi-respectable level.
I've already cut a new pawl, using the one it already had as a template for the missing one. Next I tackled the latch, the one that came with the reel was too thick and never engaged, so I thinned it down a little at a time until it just barely engaged. It's now very tight, and has absolute zero play. (The latch being too thick was actually a blessing in disguise as I was able to eliminate all the play).
The next project in the restoration process will be re-pairing the cracked frame. I'm going to pin it to make sure the repair holds solid. The red marks in the photo are where the pins will be put in place.
When I'm done I'll post more photos, it should turn out to be a nice fisher.
Wow, these things are super light!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________
The first cracked frame I ever repaired was on a pflueger sal-trout, using the same technique. The repair on this reel is difficult to see, I'm hoping to achieve similar results on the Hardy. The red slashes within the rectangle again indicate the pins that were put in place to repair the frame.