The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

ard,

its an airflo balance 9/11 that i have rigged for my upcoming pike adventures. i

put 200 yds of backing and a wf9 line on it,

feels like a runner

casey

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

a wf10 full sink is in the mix.

ARFE
Old 01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow, I could tell it was a big reel but hadn't a clue as to what it was. How heavy, I'm gonna guess 11 oz or so without the line and backing? I like big reels so weight just goes with the territory. My Cascapedia weighs almost a pound with the 120' line and 200 yds of backing on it so I understand weight.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-27-2011, 01:06 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

reel comes in at 6.6 oz.

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:15 PM ----------

with line and backing we're looking at about a pound or r so.

ARFE
Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is light for a reel that size! People need to scroll back and take a look at this if you are looking for a big reel without a lot of weight. Nice winch Casey!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Now that is light for a reel that size! People need to scroll back and take a look at this if you are looking for a big reel without a lot of weight. Nice winch Casey!
ard,

it weighs 187 grams. and my conversion skills are iffy at best.

ARFE
Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ard, if you like big reels take a look at a Galvan Torque 18. Looked at one in a shop awhile back.... thought it was a wagon wheel! milt.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM

btlguide is on a distinguished road

Looks like a pretty wild setup
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Great thread, I have a serious reel addiction. Right now the collection includes a trio of Abels- BG .5, Super 5N in HD Brown Trout and a TR1 in Winston Green. Also I have a few Lamson reels both when they were their own company and when they were owned by Sage. This includes a beast of a Lamson the Saltwater Series Bonefish model that incorporates the same drawbar mech as an Abel or Seamaster. The collection is rounded out with a Ross BG4- one of my favorites.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Great picture Russ,

Looking at reels is what started this thread. Whenever I am taking a break along the stream or river my gaze sooner or later rests on the reel that is mounted to the rod I'm using. It's a strange thing the way my mind goes sorta blank during 'the gaze'. How such a piece of simple human engineering can mesmerize the mind and at the same time give rise to the old adage, 'Hope springs eternal' is one of those mysteries I have lived with since I owned my first rig.

I have sat and looked upon a lot of reels over the years and still nothing says Fly Fishing like a mounted reel, for me anyway. You have plenty to be thankful for and you have my encouragement to gaze at them as often as you wish.

Ard

Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Thanks Ard-

For over 25 years fly reels of all shapes and sizes have interested me and the ones I have owned have certainly become companions beyond an inanimate object, they are souls with a story. In my cluster picture of metal the old Lamson Bonefish, the reel in the lower right corner is the reel for my 9wt Sage. The rod in question is an original Sage moderate action graphite from the 80's which because of it's weight the Lamson at 9.2oz works well. That reel/rod combo and I have chased stripers in Texas to snook and tarpon in the everglades. I landed my largest fish with the aid of that reel, a 53lb King Salmon and my biggest steelhead as well. It's a beast but I can certainly assure you that it is very heavy with memories.

The foreground brown trout Abel is a special purchase I made recently. The rod it is mounted to is Sage 2 piece 10ft 5wt RPL. I commissioned an artist rod maker to build the rod and the experience has led to a long friendship. That Sage was completed nearly twenty years ago and it has traveled the west and served me well during my years as a guide. For most of it's first twenty years I have fished the rod with a Sage/Loop 707 and just last week while talking with the man who built it, of whom is also an Abel dealer, I discovered the brown trout reel. Because of funding being eaten up from another purchase I had to trade in the 707 but I know that the reel will go to an angler that will use it and see the reel for the great thing that it is. Before we parted I took pictures to have and remember, just looking at the well worn inside track on the spool brings back memories from the San Juan to the White in Arkansas. I look very forward to the future with the new Abel but it has some big shoes to fill-
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by russellb; 03-13-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: fat fingers