The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

It looks as if reel acquisitions have slowed during the summer unless you guys are holding back

Looking back through the thread I notice that some people have deleted their photos from their photo server accounts.............. Bad member, very bad! When you remove a photo from your albums on - line or here on the forum, your photos disappear

With this in mind we need more photos, Kelly, where is the Martin MG-10?

kelkay and von behr like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

This is the one you know about. I liked it so much I had to get another. I now have two of these babies. The first one has a wonderful handle on it. Small, but the handle is what I guess you might call contoured, for lack of a better term. I believe the black reel, is newer than the gray version. But the gray version I have, is in better shape. The gray reel has a much smaller handle, not nearly as pleasing as the black reel handle. I love loud reels. These are perfect for me. I think they will be mine for a very long time.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the back of the gray version. I took a pic of the front, but it looks black in the photo, even though it is not.

front view of the gray reel

These are the reels after I cleaned them up. The black reel has had heavy use, and some paint loss, but still a sweet reel. The gray one has a louder sound to it, I guess from not being used as much. I wouldn't mind having more of these babies...lol.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Here is a reel you may not have seen before. It is the Daiwa 240. I like it, and I've used it. When I bought it, it didn't look scratched up like it really is. But it has had honest use. I got it at a reasonable price. I have a collection of Daiwa fly reels. I have another, that has not been cleaned, or photographed. It is a beast of a reel. Anyway, on with the photos. I want Ard to see something new...well sorta new.

Last edited by kelkay; 07-20-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

allota reell luv here
Hardyreels and kelkay like this.

ARFE
Old 07-19-2013, 11:33 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

This is the handle knob that I loved on the black MG-10 reel. I would like more exactly like this. It is the most comfortable knob I've ever had. The gray knob had a different look, and I don't like it nearly as much. I will post a comparison photo below. If anyone knows someone who does knobs, let me know. (not wood though)

Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The MG-7 has the same configuration, they went all out on that. They are machined aluminum, you'll need someone with a lathe to make more like it...then there's the anodizing thing.

So it's working good for you after the initial repairs, right?

The Diawa is their Hardy knock off, very nice reels and preform as the Hardy's.
kelkay likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-20-2013, 12:03 AM

Yes, the black reel seems to be fine now, after some adjustments. I looked at the Martin site, but it looks like I won't be getting reel handle knobs from them. I might call them to see if they can steer me towards someone who can help me out. I don't want wood knobs. If you notice, this contoured knob, has smooth contours. I have Young reels with almost a sharp contour. I don't like the sharp contour feel. I may have to learn how to make my own knobs. I wouldn't know where to start though. Oh, and I would like some knobs like this with a swirled pattern like One P-Foot does. Those are SWEET.

Yes, the Daiwa have all been good reels. I like sound on incoming, and outgoing line. Not all of them have that, I have found. I may end up selling some of them because of that. I haven't decided yet. When I finally get to cleaning the Beast, I will post it. That reel is HUGE. It is a Daiwa 252. It has to be at least a size 8wt and above. (even though the reel papers say 7wt)
Hardyreels and caseywise like this.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It looks as if reel acquisitions have slowed during the summer unless you guys are holding back

Looking back through the thread I notice that some people have deleted their photos from their photo server accounts.............. Bad member, very bad! When you remove a photo from your albums on - line or here on the forum, your photos disappear

With this in mind we need more photos, Kelly, where is the Martin MG-10?

Forgive me, Ard, for I have sinned. Here is my latest offering from Abel:

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

-VB
Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Pflueger Gem 2094 Love this reel!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Kelkay,

That is a cool reel, and it looks brand new. I like the box as much as the reel itself. When was that manufactured?

-VB
Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Yes, the black reel seems to be fine now, after some adjustments. I looked at the Martin site, but it looks like I won't be getting reel handle knobs from them. I might call them to see if they can steer me towards someone who can help me out. I don't want wood knobs. If you notice, this contoured knob, has smooth contours. I have Young reels with almost a sharp contour. I don't like the sharp contour feel. I may have to learn how to make my own knobs. I wouldn't know where to start though. Oh, and I would like some knobs like this with a swirled pattern like One P-Foot does. Those are SWEET.

Yes, the Daiwa have all been good reels. I like sound on incoming, and outgoing line. Not all of them have that, I have found. I may end up selling some of them because of that. I haven't decided yet. When I finally get to cleaning the Beast, I will post it. That reel is HUGE. It is a Daiwa 252. It has to be at least a size 8wt and above. (even though the reel papers say 7wt)
Kelly, you might want to give Bill Archuleta a call. I'd bet if he doesn't have one, he might be able to make you one.

Archuleta's Reel Works
kelkay likes this.