The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 08:27 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Thanks. It is not brand new, but it does look very sharp. This is a newer model Gem. I did have a link from the Pflueger site on the ages of their old reels and stuff. Now I think they took it off. These were made if I remember right, in the late 30's to the early 60's possibly. I will see if I can find the info. Glad you like the reel. I love it. I think it is a very nice blue collar reel.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Kelkay,

It's amazing to think that real is between 50 and 80 years old. It's a beauty and in incredible condition. I love the Martins as well. You have quite a nice collection.

-VB
kelkay likes this.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:14 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Von Behr, you can call me Kelly, most people do. I just did a little more looking on this. The Gem started with a patent in 1928. But I don't think it went into production just yet. You see the reels in the early 1930's. I thought production might of run until the early 60's. But, it seems as if they may of stopped in the 50's instead. My reel is one of the newer/newest models of the 2094. I sent Pflueger a note, and asked them to bring back the history and dates of their reels, back to their website.
I am glad you like some of my reels. I have many more. I like the older Gem because the handles are much cooler than mine. They have swirls. But mine is in very sweet condition. It runs like a champ. Love it. They are similar to the Medalist.

Here was a cool find. The reel has never been used. I don't think I will use it. You like boxes, this one has a box, but it isn't in good shape. Still, you always keep the boxes.

Click the image to open in full size.

I don't know how old this reel is. I would guess mid to late 60's, but I could be wrong. You had the Wonder rod, but they also had the Wonder reel too. (Wondereel)
Some of my favorite reels are the multipliers. I also really like the Hardy knock offs such as the Heddon 300 series. (clones) I have several clones.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:55 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Kelly,

I love it. "Built like a fine watch."

My first rod and reel were made by Shakespeare. I got a medium action fiberglass "Alpha" spinning rod and reel combination around 1978 or '79. I still have the reel, but the rod broke long ago.

I have many great memories of fishing with that gear. I caught my first fish with that combo.

You can call me Eric.
Hardyreels and kelkay like this.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:17 AM

Eric, you started out fly fishing way before me. I just started in Jan of 2008!! I have done conventional fishing since I was about 2-3. Yes, I loved the inscription on the box too. That was COOL. I have a Wonderod that someone gave me. It is one of my favorite rods too. Maybe one of these days I will throw that Wondereel on there...lol. It is not like I have a shortage of reels though. I don't have many rods, but I have a nice collection of reels.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Jaybo, I am just now seeing your reply. Yes, I will contact him. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This isn't a new reel but I took it fishing for the first time this year yesterday on a medium size creek.

The reel is my CFO IV and it has become the partner to an old Orvis Full Flex glass rod. The rod is a 6'6" and because I like my reels on the large side of the scale the balance is swell.

This post could have landed on 'Rod Love' just as well as here because I can't post these 2 photos without mentioning how well the rod works. I use this with a #5 line with 2' of 25 pound Maxima as the butt, then a 24" braided lead head to take the fly down - tippet is another 2" of 10 pound Maxima Ultra Green with one of my Nine Three streamer flies attached.

The pictures of the fish from this creek will come on another thread after I return to catch the 2 that got away! I've been having trouble with really nice rainbows throwing the hook after they go leaping from the water. The jumping looks really cool but I would prefer if they would quietly surrender and let me reel them in.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2013, 01:00 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

a beauty ard! the reel and rod alike
i missed on the rod you told me about,
went for more than i wanted to spend.

caset

ARFE
Old 07-21-2013, 01:06 PM

Both are outstanding Ard. LOVE THEM!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
a beauty ard! the reel and rod alike
i missed on the rod you told me about,
went for more than i wanted to spend.
I know, $202.50 was the sale. Honestly though if you are into the vintage rods, you will not be disappointed with one of them and you'll keep it until you're gone. The little 6'6" casts like a dream even with the leaders and flies I use with it. If I were to cast dries with the rod it would be super sweet!
kelkay likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;