The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 04:07 PM

Marcel has a spectacular aura aboutMarcel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

One of my favorite reels is this ATH AR reel, the man lives in my neck of the
woods so many of his reels keep turning up here.
I got this particular one from a friend who sold it to me.
It just looks so good

Click the image to open in full size.
kelkay, von behr, baseman1 and 3 others like this.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I was lucky enough to find a Sage 504L in excellent condition. I had previously found one with a little rash at an excellent price, which I gladly fish. But this one is nice and minty.

Mounted on my Burkheimer DAL 489-4 with SA Mastery Trout WF4 weight line.

Cheers,
Mike.
kelkay, von behr, jaybo41 and 1 others like this.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:11 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I like the way the color of the Hardy-built Sage is picked up in the Burkheimer's cork trim rings. I wonder if he would match the color in the reel seat hardware on your next rod from him?

That Ari't Hart is just outrageous! We don't see enough of his exotic works of genius here in the States. Sage, however, is emulating him by adding a spring steel rim protector on their soon to be released new model.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:38 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Mike, that Sage mounted on the Burkheimer is a thing of beauty. Great photo of a great combo.

-VB
chi flyfisher and jaybo41 like this.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Mike, that Sage mounted on the Burkheimer is a thing of beauty. Great photo of a great combo.

-VB
VB, I can attest to the fact that as beautiful of a pairing as it is in the photos, its that much more incredible in person. Oh, and is it ever fun to fish.

That was my first time up close and personal with a Burkheimer. All I can say is WOW!
von behr and chi flyfisher like this.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

Click the image to open in full size. Galvan Torque on my BIII-SX Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:59 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I wonder if he would match the color in the reel seat hardware on your next rod from him?
I like the way you think S&S. "The NEXT rod from him." Because as we all know, there will always be a next rod... and a next reel...! I simply love fly fishing gear.

Sometimes I like a little contrast to set the pieces apart. However, what I really like about this pairing is the silver along the spool nicely melds into the hardware, so I have contrast with a silver that ties them together. As you mentioned, the cork rings as well give it a wonderful visual balance.

These Hardy built Sage reels have truly become a favorite of mine. However, as I head to Colorado next weekend for a brief trip, I'll have my Abel Super 4N, Big Game pt.5 and my Loop Opti Creek in tow. When I'm fishing small spring creeks, I truly enjoy spring and pawl reels, they take me back to my roots, have simplicity and class. And yes, I can manage them on larger water with big trout. But what's the use of owning Abel, Galvan and Loop if I'm not going to put them to use when I head out west where I hope to tangle with larger trout on a regular basis!

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.

Last edited by chi flyfisher; 08-04-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 AM

Englander is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys

I have a slight weakness for reels..................

My Vosseler Dc 3 Both with standard and mid arbour spools On a 9' 5wt Vision 3 zone.

My Okuma Helio's 8/9 on my 9' 9wt Vision GT Four salt water

My Snowbee Geo 3/4 on my Vision Cult 9' 3wt

My 3/4 Greys G-series on my Dad's old Sonik 8' 3/4wt

My Hardy Fly weight on my Vision Cult fiber 5' 9" 3/4wt

Well that's about it for now........................

Stephen
Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Love your Vosseler. They are not marketed here since Rajeff Sports was forced to drop them but my wife and I picked up a couple while visiting Berlin...a fine reel. I am not familiar with your Vision Rods; a British make?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Englander is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Love your Vosseler. They are not marketed here since Rajeff Sports was forced to drop them but my wife and I picked up a couple while visiting Berlin...a fine reel. I am not familiar with your Vision Rods; a British make?
No mate

They are a Finnish company i love the feel of there rods

Stephen