The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
VB, I can attest to the fact that as beautiful of a pairing as it is in the photos, its that much more incredible in person. Oh, and is it ever fun to fish.

That was my first time up close and personal with a Burkheimer. All I can say is WOW!
That sure made for an unforgettable first experience with the Burk. I often visit family up in the Portland area. I couldn't help but noticing they live exactly between Saracione in Sandy, Oregon and Burkheimer just across the Columbia in Washington. That gives me an idea for my next visit...might get expensive.

-VB
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Click the image to open in full size.

Here are three trout reels from three different makers that have much in common. They are all very large arbor designs with dramatically ported, skeletonized frames for maximum capacity with minimum weight. Many reels today share these traits, however, these three have additional characteristics that set them apart; they feature narrow spool widths for intuitive, uniform line retrieval and have exceptional rigidity with minimum flex for such light-weight construction. Beyond that, they come from three different places; Florida, California and (by way of Britain) Korea. Each has its own subtle sounds, audible but never loud, different feels to the detents in their drag knobs, varied handle designs and, of course, different drag systems. Different but all are incrementally fine-tunable allowing just the right amount of drag to protect light tippets but apply appropriate strain to a trout to bring it to net while still green.

I selected these three reels only in part for the high quality design and performance they share; each balances perfectly with a specific rod that form the core quiver for my large trout river, dry fly angling. The Nautilus FWX 7/8 mates with Sage ONE 9'/#5 with a RIO Gold, The Galvan Torque T-6 with G.Loomis NRX 9'/#4 also with Gold and the Hardy Ultralite DD 4000, the easiest and most obvious choice, for Hardy's Zenith 9'/#5 mounted with SA Mastery Expert Distance Taper.

These three outfits are not intended to provide me with broad range response for any condition, there is a smaller 4-weight and a heavier 6-weight include for that, but rather to incrementally fine tune my preferred fly fishing for trout, dry fly only style. The ONE provides the ultimate in totally focused surgical precision, NRX maximizes delicacy at medium to long distances and Zenith is totally intuitive and graceful for repeated casting under all conditions from in close to as long as you may need to cast. All generate very high line speed with quick recovering tips helping to form smooth, tight loops facilitating compound, in-air reaches and mends.

I have owned many great rods and reels over the decades but these three form the best performing and best feeling core quiver ever.

My partner, "Dillon", assisting with a dry fly caught, pugnacious, Beaverhead brown taken with the Hardy outfit.
kelkay, von behr, Gerard and 6 others like this.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 01-07-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Love the theme that you have going there S & S, three beauties. I have been a Hardy & Lamson fan up to now, but have used that background many times in my field of work.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice group of reels you have there s&s
those hardy ul dd and cc reels are very nice.
my only critique on my cc is the one way click is almost too weak.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

old starlite i found....

cool reel

casey
Joni, Hardyreels, kelkay and 6 others like this.

ARFE
Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM

another old reel i found. kinda cool
shakespeare sturdy model 1860
made in 1939 or around

casey

ARFE
Old 08-21-2013, 08:01 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I picked up a vintage fly reel that has been on my want list for a few years now.

It's Blue Collar, and has nothing real special about it.....(It's just what I believe is another example of a nice innovative idea that ultimately became extinct with the passing of time.)

I'm not sure why it wasn't used more often, as I think it's absolutely brilliant.

The reel is just a Shakespeare Russell, Most of them did not have this adjustable type of drag design.

Simplicity at its best!

Left hand / Right hand retrieve, Drag pressure / Wind pressure....... Its all adjustable with just four screws. (You just got to set it once, and forget about everything else!) No fine tuning, or bending of components, just 4 screws! Not much that could possibly ever go wrong.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Here is another example of the same reel, this one is a different year and more common. It shares the same look and name, but its not as easily adjustable, and definitely not as cool!

This new reel is going to find a home on one of my rods for sure.
Hardyreels, caseywise and baseman1 like this.

Last edited by charged; 08-21-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Business Member

taylorreels will become famous soon enoughtaylorreels will become famous soon enough

We have a new reel coming out very soon! Here are some early pictures of it.

We will start taking pre-orders for them in a couple weeks via kickstarter.com

Taylor Reels:: Quality and Affordable Fly Fishing Reels

Last edited by taylorreels; 08-22-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM

here's a nice old shakespeare russell no. 1896 i picked up. made around 1932-33.
i've never seen one with the red agate dot on the front of the spool
before.

yeah, i know i got a reel problem

casey

ARFE
Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 PM

ocean city no. 306

Hardyreels, itchmesir and baseman1 like this.

ARFE