The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Thanks VB, I have to confess, I don't use a lot of them, purely collection reasons.
Sad I know, but I'm just happy to be custodian of them for now.
My go to reels this season have been my Hardy CC 3000, a Nautilus Five, a green Tripillar disc drag of Chinese origin, and a Sage 3850.
S.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 AM
rudolf hukka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
MrTrout, I prefer the UL DD over the CC not only because it features a subtly fine-tunable drag but because it simple works better than the CC version. Howard is a great designer of both reels and rods but material errors happen.

If you want to see where Howard Croston obtains some of his inspiration, look at Rudolf's remarkable collection of Ari't Hart reels. Rudolf, I do not know anyone who has a collection approaching yours, wow! One model I have never seen is your "Aris" with matching reel seat. Take a look at Hardy "Angel" and note the twin posts attaching the reel foot and the large diameter, shallow domed, ported drag knob as well as the reel seat used on Angel rods and subsequent Zeniths and Ari's influence is palpable.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardy Angel, circa 2002, a reel still not getting the respect it deserves.

Hi Sweetandsalt,
Thanks fo rthe compliment on my collection, much appreciated
I do have a friend in The Netherlands that has well over 200 of Ari's reels, many of which are unique!!!!
Here are some pictures of 2 of Ari's prototypes that enspired the Hardy Angel, & a Hardy Swift TE's that show Ari's influence in the adjustable reel seat, It went on to be used on the Astrid.
Best wishes,
Rudolf

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtrout View Post
Hi S&S Rudolf and I have been good friends now for several years, we are both keen collectors of Ari Hart reels, I have a dozen or so, in fact my Remco came via his good self.
My collection isn't as large as his, but he's my mentor, and very helpful.
I prefer the Hardy CC on the small river I use it on, as it's very light, I have a 2000 and a 3000 model, and think they are well designed, as for the plastic clickers wearing down, they aren't alone, I've had a similar problem on my Sage Click, and my Purist 1.
I now always carry a spare for each reel just in case.
Rudolf, you have far too many Ari's now, it's about time you sold me some, cheap!!
S.
A few from my collection.
Nice collection Mrtrout, & a lovely display cabinet. I LOVE your Ari'T Hart reels, & the L H Design Sapphire is a beauty too
Rudolf
Hardyreels and baseman1 like this.

Last edited by rudolf hukka; 09-18-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Whats your address please? I need to commit grand theft

P.S. That reel collection is insane, very cool
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I am, in the words of Duck's Phil Robertson, Happy, happy, happy.

Casey hooked me up with this all but NEW 1494 Medalist. It will go on my future glass rod purchase,,prob in January on an Orvis Superfine Glass. Outta be a fine pairing ! Sorry for the photo, but it's the best I could do off the cuff here at night.

Hardyreels, kelkay and baseman1 like this.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You'll like the old Pflueger Mike, nice.

I have a reel in the mail right now that will be seeing action yet this year. I hope it will be here when I get back from fishing. We're going for Sunday - Monday and Tuesday to try to spook up a few steelhead.

Soon as it arrives I'll snap a photo and post it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2013, 03:09 PM

gaz19 is on a distinguished road

A few of my reels

Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Nice group of hardware there, keep them coming people! I love fly reels...............

Old 10-06-2013, 03:17 PM

gaz19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Nice group of hardware there, keep them coming people! I love fly reels...............
I love them myself, Hardy Demons are my main reels, the others are my number 5 weights only used now and again.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Administrator

It was only a matter of time................ I've been fishing with a 1981 Hardy Spey rod for a few years now and have been trying to find the appropriate reel for it. It works with my Cascapedia but since I lined it with a Carron Jetstream 10/11 the Cascapedia wouldn't hold that line so................ Being deep in the bench when it comes to reels I spooled the line onto an Orvis Vortex 11/22 reel and had the line capacity and weight in the reel that were needed.

But it seemed I should have 'the right reel' for this rod. I really like the rod and so I got it a reel.

It is the 4 1/4" Wide Spool Perfect, made in England by Hardy Bros.

It took 200 yards of backing line and the Jetstream and I will be interested in hearing the report from that check system when I have one run. They have a really strong tension check and I'm confident the reel will handle our fish here.

It's Perfect
fyshstykr, Pocono, kelkay and 7 others like this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-09-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

That is one nice Clicker.