The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Every now and then you catch yourself looking lovingly at your fly reel don't you? Come on, it's OK to tell, part of the lore of fly fishing is the tackle. The love of fine tackle is what keeps magazines on the shelves and many a company in business.

I have been watching the favorite reel brand thread since it started and noticed some members posted photos of their favorites. So hey why not a thread where that is what you do?

Please just one brand reel per post and feel free to describe what it is that makes you love that particular reel or brand of reel. Yes it is OK to love your reel.

For my opener; A Hardy Viscount LA Disc 3.75" X 1" spool for lines 7/8. A smooth strong drag that has handled more AK. Salmon than any other reel I own and a large arbor to aid in fast retrieve when they come strait in.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

You're next............................
sbreech likes this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-26-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:17 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

but coming out of the metalworking field, I loves my hardware and good engineering and design!

Charlton!
Click the image to open in full size.

Ross 'R', the beast that started Ross on their road to reel glory:

Ross Vision:

Limited Edition Ross Evo:

Hardy made Orvis CFO 123... sweet!

Limited Edition Bauer LOHR:

Two I'll never own but think are cool:

Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one of my Cordel reels.It's the best automatic reel ever made,all the pros of an automatic without the cons.Mr Cordel made all the parts and built all his reels alone.Great job
Hardyreels and von behr like this.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I like Medalists
Got my first one around 45 years ago and they're still the reels I use the most to this day
Not fancy, just reliable

Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use a 5 weight rod most of the year. This reel by far is my favorite.

Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor

I also have one in pewter for my 4 weight ZXL.

MP
Old 11-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Old Favorite

This is the first Hardy I ever owned, circa 1978 although I take great pride in not beating my reels up this one has traveled and fished more than any other I own. Before I became jaded or able to afford to own a bunch of reels this was my prize possession. I used it on a 7'9" Far & Fine 5wt. and with that outfit caught everything from Atlantic salmon to Pacific silver salmon and every kind of trout I could find in between the two.

The Featherweight;

von behr, jaybo41, wt bash and 4 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Funny Ard ,I got the same reel and case it was a Pezon& Michel but made by Hardy they had only changed the name on the reel.I sold it for a few bucks years ago because I gave up using manual reels in moving waters...I was stupid for now it's a collector
Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default The Martin MG-3

I inherited this and a nice 4wt rod from my old pal Charlie Spangler who passed away September 21 1992. He and I were friends.

Martin MG-3

These are a nice little reel with the frame at 3" X 1", they make a fine light weight reel for a 3-4-5wt rig. Charlie was only 45 when he died, so don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today!
wt bash and sbreech like this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 06-07-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Default An Orvis Odyssey IV

I have two of these, a number three and a four. I'm going to try to pick up a number one or two for lighter rods. This one has two spools and I use it on two different rods. It is big and heavy with a drag that will slow down whatever you hook.

The frame measures 4" X 2" width and I think they weigh about 13oz. This one has 275 yards of 36lb saltwater micron behind the 9wt DT line.

Odyssey IV;

Old 11-21-2009, 12:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

I like fishing my vintage gear and these two old reels see some regular use
They wouldn't get a second look from most folks, but I think they're special because they originally belonged to my grandfather and they were both locally made

The black one is a Bristol 65, made by the Horton Mfg Co. of Bristol CT. Makers of the famous Bristol steel fly rods.

The aluminum reel has no markings but I've learned it was made by a machine shop in Bridgeport. When new it was etched and polished. It has a single spring and pawl.

Hardyreels and kelkay like this.