The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM

vixen0211 is on a distinguished road
Default New to fly fishing

I am just starting and I was hoping that someone could give me some advice on what kind of reel is the best choice. I want to be able to fish rivers and lakes, but also be able to fish in saltwater. Any help with this would be great! Thanks!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New to fly fishing

Hi,

Where do you live?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Where do you live?
Yeah, we could use some more information
What part of the world do you live?
What type of water exactly do you think you'd like fish ?
And what's your budget ?.... lotta variables there!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 PM

vixen0211 is on a distinguished road

I live in Mississippi. I want to be able to catch Trout and Salmon, but also be able to catch bonefish. I'm just starting out so my budget is $400 or less. I was looking at some of the Sage series outfits and liked those, but I'm not sure if they are what I would be looking for.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned in your rod question, you will probably be best off with two rods. Frank mentioned in his reply that you will probably be best off with something that you can use locally in that thread.

If you want a reel that you can use for both freshwater and saltwater, get something with a good drag system (especially for bonefish). Bonefish are known for making blistering runs after getting hooked. The reel drag has to be smooth, so it does not backlash any line. It has to be powerful enough to put the brakes on the fish. Plus the reel has to have a durable finish, so it doesn't corrode to saltwater.

A good reel for the money that can help you hit that $400 goal is the Lamson Guru (choose the Guru 3 for 7 weight, Guru 3.5 for 8 weight). The Guru costs under $200. The value is that the reel frame and the spool are machined from bar stock aluminum, has a durable finish, and has the same drag system as the $400+ higher end models in the Lamson/Waterworks product line.

My friends and I have given that drag system a hard workout on baby tarpon, bonefish, snook, salmon, steelhead, different bass species, and a lot of other species. The drag is smooth and has lots of stopping power.

Since you plan on taking this reel out to the saltwater, make sure to do some simple maintenance. After your fishing day is over, rinse the reel. When your trip is done, strip out all the line and soak that to remove any leftover salt and sand particles.

Which brings me to lines. You will need two different lines. You will have one for freshwater and one for saltwater. The saltwater line will have a core that will not wilt in tropical heat, but it will be too stiff for freshwater conditions. If you take a freshwater line to the saltwater, it will feel flimsy in the tropical heat.

Good luck wit your search.

MP