The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 11:28 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road
Default reel and line for 7'6" forecast rx6 rod

Hey guy's
I just purchased a 3 wt 7'6" forecast rx6 custom rod from cooks of oregon and was wondering what would be a good reel and line for this outfit, it will primarily be used on the root river MN and the White water also in MN.
These are both small river's with some farm land and tight woods, i was looking at the new rio LT DT3F or the ridge line tactical trout WF3F, and for the reel i was looking at the 101m fly reel on ebay or a used orvis battenkill bar stock or CFO (just cannot justify the price of the reel for an $80 rod) only reason i want something better than the plastics for 20-40 dollars is the rod has a hardwood reel seat and nickle hardware and i want a nice looking reel to match it (orvis battenkill's) any help with this would be appretiated as i dont want to spend a whole lot for a small stream outfit.
thanks guys and tight line's.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reel and line for 7'6" forecast rx6 rod

I'd buy the Orvis Battenkill Barstock reel simply because it is an Orvis. It is a company that has been around and will be around for years to come. If you have issues or need parts for the reel down the road, there is a good chance that Orvis can service the reel for you.

As for the line, I have always favored the double taper over the weight forward for three weights. These lines will roll cast better because of the consistent mass in the belly of the line. Also the front tapers are finer for delicate presentations. If you are going to fish tight areas like you say you will be, get the Rio Trout LT.

MP
Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 PM

i want the bar stock, love the classic look for smaller 6-8 foot small wt rods but paying more for the reel when i most likely wont need the drag is kind of a waste of money that i could spend on the nymph line i want to try on my redfly2 8'6" 5 wt (btw all who reccomended the redfly2, i love it for nymph and larger dry flies, many crappies and 14" to 16" trout caught on it with minimal arm fatigue) mostley due to old orvis wonderline something something.. any ways never buying there line again. anyways thanks mosca
Old 12-08-2009, 04:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't a waste of money since you are paying for the quality of the build. The Orvis BBS has been around for four season, and Orvis has been around for 100 years. For the money, it is machined nicely, has tight tolerances, and has a decent drag that may come in handy if you happen to hook into a larger fish.

What do you know about the 101M reel? Who makes it? Is there a warranty? Who is going to stand behind it? Will parts be available for it, or will it be servicable years from now? How many reviews can you find of the 101M? How many reviews will you find for the BBS?

In an earlier thread, I replied to the author about reel quality by asking, "does the quality of the reel matter to you?"

Here is how to look at it. If you just want a line holder, get the 101M reel. If you want the better quality, a solid reputation, and a company that will stand behind its product for years to come, look at the Orvis BBS.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 12-08-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-08-2009, 05:42 PM

very good point mosca, I do want quality and I do agree with you, after talking with my uncle i am now in total agreement that a decent drag is needed with a 3wt as an 18" + trout would be lost on a 3wt of this nature.

any good places to get a nice used or overstock orvis BBS I reel?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I sell Okuma Sirria's with all our forecast custom rods. Great reel for only 49.95
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

check ebay for BBS reels. You might even get one that was made in England!

I agree with Mosca about quality. The reel can be used on another rod at some point in the future.....

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Here's a regular Orvis Battenkill, Made in England: CLICK HERE The innards are the same as the BBS, and
this one is made in England.....
Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 PM

sounds like what i will do,
sorry sandfly as posted above looking for a classic looking reel orvis bbs and cfo are exactaly what i want was just wondering if there were cheaper ways to get them or cheaper reliable alternatives. but your rods and dubbing look very nice i might be comming in for some dubbing and possibly a custom w/ birch inlay if you do built to orders. i will post on what i end up getting and let everyone know how well i like the rio LT dt3f line new for 2010.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Frank,
that orvis is about exactly what i am looking for.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:25 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

doesnt get more classic than a you know what! (medalist)
Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM

thanks for the info guys.
I ended up winning that orvis battenkill made in england reel for 60.00
I will be stir crazy all winter, waiting to use the new setup, already cast the tip of the nymph rod with notheing but an indicator to the cats, yeah first big snow and i've already tied about 150-200 flies out of boredom.