The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 PM

martin trj is on a distinguished road
Default Daiwa 731A fly reel

I got one of these as a gift but I have no info on it. Does anybody have any info on these reels? Anything at all, I'm just curious.
Thanks

Last edited by martin trj; 03-28-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 PM

will09 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Daiwa 731A fly reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin trj View Post
I got one of these as a gift but I have no info on it. Does anybody have any info on these reels? Anything at all, I'm just curious.
Thanks
I have one , I feel it's a pretty good little reel. It has an adjustable click drag and it's light and build sturdy .
Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I have one, too.

It's stamped 'AFTMA 7 Weight'. A solid reel.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:58 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Sturdy and nice looking. I sold one to a fellow who had fished his for many years and wore it out. It still worked though. Be mindful of the spring inside if you play with the drag. It's rated for a seven line but the reel is quite light and you could go a five line with it if you wanted. Nice gift.

Paul
Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the reel I have. It is a good beginner reel. (nicely built, and looks good) I would like it a lot better, if it had sound when the drag was pulled out. My reel only has retrieve sound, which is disappointing to me. I like sound both ways. I haven't decided whether to sell mine, or keep it for a Daiwa collection. I have a lot of Daiwa reels.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Mine looks almost exactly like that. It's new, also.

One difference I see is that mine has slotted screws holding it together instead of Phillips.

The other thing is the stamped lettering on the back. Mine is not as deep. You can't see any raised metal around the lettering.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I don't think my reel was used before I bought it. If it was, it could not have been used more than a couple of times. It was in mint looking condition.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 PM

will09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post

This is the reel I have. It is a good beginner reel. (nicely built, and looks good) I would like it a lot better, if it had sound when the drag was pulled out. My reel only has retrieve sound, which is disappointing to me. I like sound both ways. I haven't decided whether to sell mine, or keep it for a Daiwa collection. I have a lot of Daiwa reels.
Mine looks exacty like the one you have in the photo's. Mine was new that I got on the bay and described as havignsome corrosion sitting in a basement. It had a bit of white corrosion on the inside of the outer plate ( spool knob side ) at one of the reel foot cross bars . I just cleaned that out good and filled the slight depression with JB weld and touched up the finish , good as new.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:07 PM

Does your reel have sound both ways?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 PM

No, just one way.