The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Rip Tide reels

Anyone ever used or heard of Rip Tide Reels? I've seen some of their rods and they seem to be nice pieces.

Looking to get a mid or large arbor for a 7wt that I just picked up.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rip Tide reels

Axle,

Are you talking about Tibor reels?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be careful--- there is a fly reel called the Rip Tide-- it's a very high quality (and expensive at 650-700 bucks), it's an excellent saltwater fly reel for 10 weight lines made by Ted Juracsik of Tibor Reels.

I think that whoever is making these rods is trying to capitalize on the well earned reputation and completely unrelated Tibor Rip Tide fly reels by using the name "Rip Tide". Tibor, the company that makes that reel doesn't make fly rods. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that this is a cheap knockoff from China, using inexpensive components and is a "house brand" of some small shop or importer using the name ---- probably until Tibor takes legal action and issues a "cease and desist". I've never heard of "rip tide fly rods" until your post, but i see there are a couple now on ebay matched with a cortland xc precision reel, fly line and backing for roughly 260 bucks. The cortland reel normally goes for around 180, so the rod probably is very inexpensive.

If you're looking to match up a rod with a new reel, there are a lot of choices depending on your budget. But the fish you plan to chase will also help nail down some of the requirements. For instance if you plan to use it on bass you can get away with a relatively inexpensive reel, but if you're going to be chasing bonefish you might want something a little more heavily engineered that would be worth throwing a few more bucks into.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Yeah, I'm aware of Tibor. Way out of my price range.

The guy who makes and/or sells Rip Tide Rods and such is Camp Lake Outfitters. I've gotten something or another from them in the past as I have one of their business cards and a decent sparkle dragonfly that adorns my hat. The rods don't look too bad, but I was just wondering what the reels were like.

I agree with Peregrines. Most likely it's a Chinese/Asian made reel.

The 7wt is for smallmouth and very light saltwater. I don't have alot of cash to throw at a reel.

Ever heard of Palegic?

I'm not in any hurry. I've got a 3wt that will get some work in Feb. The smallie trip isn't until May.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am always leery about buying no name brands of tackle. Do you know if the reel will be serviceable in the years to come? How is its warranty? Today, many of the reels from the major players have price pointed reels that can be serviced and have warranties. Here are a few reels that are $100 or under. Redington Surge 7/8/9, Sage 1680, Ross Flycast.

MP
Old 01-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi axle27,

Mosca is right on target. Go up to the top of the Forum page and on the "Shopping Menu" click on "Marketplace." You will find the Redington Surge and the the Redington Drift. The Drift 7/8 is $99. The Surge is $79. I have not used the Drift but Todd is very high on this reel for the money. You can give Todd a call at (937) 434-8472 and he can answer any questions. I think you will be really pleased with the Drift. I am not familiar with the Surge but all of the Newer Redington reels have been very good.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 01-04-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Thanx, guys. I'm nosing around, like always.

I didn't see the Drift in 7/8 in the marketplace. The Surge looks like a nice piece. It might be my front runner.

Was also looking at a Cortland Climax.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi axle27,

Sorry but I miss quoted the prices on the Drift and the Surge. I changed that around so they are right. You probably noticed that.

You are right that the Drift is not available in the 7/8 size. The 5/6 is the largest size in that series. You would have to go up to the Rise series and that is over your budget. Todd has the Surge listed at a discount.

Frank
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

i came across the rip tide too. and found this forum. the company is out of US. They also didnt mention anything about warranty for their reels. Some of their reels are light but lamson still has them beat and cheaper too. I would check out the konic. Its a nice reel.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Frank,

I've noticed that the Drift is available in 7/8 elsewhere. No offense to your forum advertiser, just saying.

Anyone ever heard of a brand called Vogg? From what I can gather, it is from Norway. I've read that they are pulling out of the North American market.

I appreciate the input. I'm in my "research" mode right now. Like most other people, I'm always looking for a deal.

I will say that I keep eyeballing the Konic.