The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 AM

blackbear will become famous soon enough
Default Reel for 8'6" 4wt legend ultra

Im having a hard time deciding on a new reel for this rod....I want a quality drag on the reel also. I pretty much have it narrowed down to...Bauer superlite 1 or the Sage 4540 CF. I have other sage reels, lamsons, ross's and am a fan of all of them but have never tried a bauer. Maybe someone can decide for me.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel for 8'6" 4wt legend ultra

Those Sage CF reels are shockingly light. Personally I wouldn't own one, due to the fact that composite reels tend to deform if left in a hot vehicle. If you live in Maine, you're likely fine, but I'm in south TX.

I know nothing about that Bauer, other than their solid reputation.

I'd stick an Abel Creek, a Waterworks ULA Purist, or a new Ross Evolution LT on it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I used to own a 2560. It was a nice build. Start up was smooth. There was a nice range in the drag. The current 4500 series reels are the same as 2500 series reels except that the machining was changed for a new look. The numbered detents on the drag knob are great if you like to have a reference on where you like to set it.

I own a Bauer M5 Superlite on my 6 weight Spey rod. It, too, is a nice build. The cork drag is butter smooth and has a very wide range of drag adjustment. A downside to a cork drag is that it can slip if it ices up. If that is a concern, you may want to consider a Bauer Rogue.

If I had a choice between the Sage and the Bauer, I'd choose the Bauer. First, the Bauer is made in Ashland, Oregon, and the Sage reel is made in Korea. I like to know that my fly fishing money is staying in the USA. I have always been a fan of cork drags. The wide drag range lets me have lots of options of where to set it.

If I had a choice to put whatever reel on your 4 weight, it would be one of these (Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor).

Click the image to open in full size.

Do you really need a disk drag on a 4 weight?

MP
Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the replies guys...I did want a nice drag on the reel since some of the areas I fish can have a very large trout among smaller fish but I am still using 7x alot...I have a sage 3200 click with no drag and sometimes its a handfull but it is one of the smoothest reels I have fished. What kind of material is the "carbon fiber" that sage uses? Is it just re-named plastic? I fish alot in winter and do dunk my reels...I am thinking the cork in the bauer may become a problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
What kind of material is the "carbon fiber" that sage uses? Is it just re-named plastic?
The spool is made from a carbon fiber mesh that is mixed with a plastic resin to form the composite. Most quality composites will survive high temperatures in hot cars. Your fly lines will probably be affected before your spool.

Just a bit of advice: never leave anything important in a car for a long period on a hot day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
I fish alot in winter and do dunk my reels...I am thinking the cork in the bauer may become a problem.
If you are still interested in a Bauer, the Rogue 1 may be a better fit for you. The drag is fully sealed and uses high quality carbon fiber disks instead of cork.

MP
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The spool is made from a carbon fiber mesh that is mixed with a plastic resin to form the composite. Most quality composites will survive high temperatures in hot cars. Your fly lines will probably be affected before your spool.

Just a bit of advice: never leave anything important in a car for a long period on a hot day.

If you are still interested in a Bauer, the Rogue 1 may be a better fit for you. The drag is fully sealed and uses high quality carbon fiber disks instead of cork.

MP
The specs on the sage 4540cf (3.75 oz) and rogue 1(3.9 oz) with around 60 yds of backing each...are very close. I can get the sage for 260.00 on sale at a local shop but will have to pay full price on the bauer. I still like the bauer though...wish I could find one to fondle before purchase.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi blackbear,

Of the reels you are looking at the Bauer would be my choice. However my favorite Trout reel is the Galvan Open Back. It has a great drag, no incoming clicker and really well built. You should also look at the Able Trout or Creek models. Wonderful Trout reels.

Frank

Galvan Open Back

Able Trout Model

Able Creek Model
Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM

I went with the bauer SL1...comparing it side bye side to all the reels listed I felt it fit the rod the best and is very smooth. The nice green anodizing matches well with the green blank also. Thanks for everyones response!