The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default noisy reel help

i am not sure if anyone can help with this, but here goes. twenty-some years ago my wife bought me an orvis green mountain rod and an orvis madison reel. this was packaged as an entry level combo, and to tell the truth, i am still fond of it. the rod is possibly a true moderate action, conducive to my failings as a caster. the reel is a simple click and pawl, and is still beautiful. the only problem is is that it is noisy...real noisy. is there anything i can do to muffle the sound somewhat? is this what is to be expected from these older reels. my other two disc drag reels are much quiter. thanks for any help...........r
Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: noisy reel help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapman View Post
i am not sure if anyone can help with this, but here goes. twenty-some years ago my wife bought me an orvis green mountain rod and an orvis madison reel. this was packaged as an entry level combo, and to tell the truth, i am still fond of it. the rod is possibly a true moderate action, conducive to my failings as a caster. the reel is a simple click and pawl, and is still beautiful. the only problem is is that it is noisy...real noisy. is there anything i can do to muffle the sound somewhat? is this what is to be expected from these older reels. my other two disc drag reels are much quiter. thanks for any help...........r
maybe it's too old...try a little grease...and check if the spool doesn't rub the reel... and if there's no sand inside....not easy to answer without seeing the reel.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:01 PM

jbb, no sand or grit, and the spool doesn't rub. it is just the louder clicking noise. btw, what do you use to lubricate your reels?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rapman,

You need to change out the spring. It is too stiff and that is why you hear so much noise from the ratchet. I say that without knowing what the insides look like. But, that is my guess. You might try some grease on the gear.

Frank
Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 PM

frank, i lubed the gear, but it is still noisy. not sure what you mean about changing out the spring. are you talking about replacing it? i know that these have not been made in years, so i am not sure about parts availability. i am sure that it was not an expensive reel, but it was british made and is aluminum, though probably cast.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:43 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

On the river I don't seem to notice the noise out of a reel but on a quiet mtn. stream, pond or lake I surely do which is why I ditched my Ross Cimarron years ago for a Lamson which was very quiet. Matter of fact, all my reels are quiet-Lamson, Bauer. That entry level reel is 20 some years old, maybe it's time to consider treating yourself to a newer and quieter reel? Life is too short to use something annoying don't you think? But if your attached to it try to call Orvis.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 PM

thanks racine. maybe i will call. my battenkill and teton are much quieter, almost a pleasant soft click. i really don't use this rod much anymore and could always replace the reel if needed. i was just hoping there may have been a quick fix.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

My Hardy's and Young's, and CFO's are noisy too. I wish I could amplify those suckers. I love the sound of a loud click and pawl. It's not like the fish can hear it. Just the sound of a fish taking off on a run is like a Harley Davidson with straight pipes in a tunnel. Something that I just love.
:thmbup :
Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I'm like Mojo, I love the sound of a click and pawl with a big fish on it. If you decide to replace it, let me know how much you want for it, I may be willing to take it off your hands.

d
Old 01-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I'm not sure the click 'n pawl Orvis reel is built like their old CFO or Hardy click and pawl reels but if so, look inside to see if the pawls are oriented like the picture below. Another thing is that reels like these sound a lot noisier if they don't have line and backing on them.
To me that noise acts like a fish call.

Click the image to open in full size.