The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough
Default Best 3 Weight Reel...for the price

I just picked up a new TFO #3 for some of the smaller creeks. I'm looking for a good, but inexpensive reel to match it up with. Right now I'm looking at the Ross Flystart for $68.

Does anyone know of a better alternative in this price range?

Tight lines.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:35 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best 3 Weight Reel...for the price

have a look at this Orvis for 49.00. great value.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 PM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road

I have always been advised to stay away from the china portion of ross reels there not made by the same people as the higher end ross thats what i have herd any ways

but to answer your question take a look at the p fluger trion 99 bucks at cabelas and i like mine better then any other reel i have had

colton
Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

There are two Scientific Anglers System 1 reels in this forums Classified
section. The smaller of the two weighs 3.9oz, and is a click/pawl style reel.
I owned one, and they are very nice. Some people seem to like tiny reels
for 3wt rods, but I can't see winding line onto a small spool.

Another nice reel for a 3wt would be the Martin Mohawk River. It's a fully
machined reel, and looks great. One of the fly shop gurus I know thinks it's
the best buy for a rod like yours, and he's been in the business for quite some
time. Martin Mohawk River Fly Reel Review - Budget fly reel low cost affordable trout fishing
Old 01-24-2010, 08:27 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Frank has the right idea.

I have a Cortland 55 that I use with a 7ft 3wt and my 7-6 2wt. It's click and pawl and all you'll need for small creeks or sunfish. Also, mine is made in England, if it matters.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Topwater Reel 3/4 - Topwater Fly Reels - Fly Reels
Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You don't really need a powerful drag unit on a 3 weight reel. A classic click and pawl setup will do the job well.

A reel that is growing on me is the Redington Drift. It has an adjustable click and pawl drag. It is machined from barstock aluminum. The machining is high quality, and the finish looks good. Since it does not have a heavy duty drag system, it is very light. Best of all, it runs about $99 in most shops.

If your local shop does not have one, check out the website sponsor, reelflyrod.com. Here is the direct link to the Redington Drift on the sponsor's webpage.

MP
Old 02-12-2010, 12:34 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I have a TFO Pro 3-wt with an Orvis BBS-I reel I got at the local fly shop on sale for $89. It balances and casts very nicely. If you can't find locally, I believe Bass Pro sells BBS reels for under $100 during their Spring Sale.

I would avoid the Flystart - I gave one to a family member for a first reel and it literally broke the first time out. I took it back to the fly shop and they replaced it with an Orvis BBS-II. Said they had a lot of Flystarts come back and they were dropping them from the shop.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

i saw that Allen & Co has the 3/4 wt out...looks like a nice reel and they are $48 for forum members....ask Justin down in the buisness classifieds bout them
Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm with FrankB2 and Axle on the reel size. Tiny reels just don't cut it. I once bought a Hardy Flyweight to use on a St Croix 3wt and the reel looked so tiny on the reel seat that I did not like it. I tried it on my Orvis Flea and had the same opinion. Eventually I sold the reel.

Today there are so many reels in production that even with opinions being rendered it comes down to you actually checking out a reel in person and making a buy based on what you are holding in your hand. I like the Hardys and especially the Featherweight and the small Marquis reels.

I do have a Cortland Graphite disc that was a great buy and works so well I use it for small steelhead water. The Lamson Reel Co. makes some really affordable reels in the 3/4 and 5/6 sizes, take a look at their lineup before making the big step.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;