The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Need some opinions on a reel please

Lookin at gettin a new rod and reel set up here in the next month or so with tax return....lookin to spend around $200 on a reel....could some of you suggest some good ones to get around that price range i dont know the reels very well and which is a good one over the next....looking for a large arbor in a 5wt
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Need some opinions on a reel please

I don't thiink reels are that important until you get into offshore fishing. Both the reels I use for bonefish I got new on ebay for about 100 bucks and they are plenty adaquate.

For a 5 wt, I would just check cabellas or a local shop for something that isn't too heavy. All you need is a click and pawl - no carbon fiber drag or anything like that.

Put the extra money into the rod.

There are a bunch of opinions on the 3 wt reels below. Those reels, in a larger size, would be applicable to your situation.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I couldn't agree more with Jim. In my opinion, for freshwater anyway - particularly 7# and lighter - reels are just for parking line. As Jim says, click & pawl are all you need. In fact, I prefer palming my spool for drag instead; it's easier to modulate. Put your money into the rod (1st) and then into line before spending big bucks on a reel. As far as a specific recommendation, I think it's hard to beat an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock for quality and value. For the $200 you want to spend, you could get that reel, an extra spool and have money to spare to put toward a good line. And nobody stands behind their products better than Orvis, in case you ever have a problem.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 01-25-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

Although I tend to agree that you do not need a reel with drag or a large arbor for 5wt., I have a mid arbor w/ drag for my 5wt. I like it very much, and I also like my standard arbor reel for my 5 wt. too.

Some people prefer a large arbor to reduce coiling and allow for a faster retrieve, and disc drag can come in very handy in a number of situations (heck just having a free hand can be useful).

To more specifically answer your question, you can buy an Orvis Large Arbor reel for just under $200. You could also get a mid arbor or bar stock reel with line for about $200. The Battenkill reels are very well made and priced. I have had a couple of non-Orvis guides remark that for the money they are hard to beat. Take a look at them and others if you can.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

I was just looking at reels in our local Cabelas store and they have a lightweight cabelas
reel for $200. It Is made in America by Ross and is $100 cheaper than the Ross evolution LT. In fact, the reel from the cabelas model will accept the spool from the Ross evolution and vice-versa. It seemed like a good reel to me and at a good price that could perhaps get better during their spring sales, if you can wait. The drag seems real smooth and should handle anything we can catch in freshwater. I'm sure you will get many ideas to sort through. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

If you're not set on a large arbor, this is a very nice reel.
Hardy Lightweight Fly Reel | HarrisSportsmail.com
Harris Sportsmail. I've dealt with them before and it takes less time to come over from England, then it does to come from the east coast.
In fact I have a LRH that I use for a 3,4, and 5w. I have 4 spools so it sees it's share of use. I guess it's my favorite reel. Nothing fancy. A click and pawl. Perfect for rivers and streams. The new ones are made in Korea under Hardy Brothers specs and quality control. I have an older LRH and the tolerances are just a little tighter on the Korean model.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some options:
Redington Drift 5/6- A classic click and pawl drag mid arbor reel. It's made from machined barstock aluminum. Best of all, it can be found at shops for $99.
Lamson Guru 2 - A $189 reel with a $409 drag system.
Ross CLA 2 - A reel from a company known for its customer service.

I'm partial to old school click and pawl reels. I like the sound they make when a fish is taking line off them. Most of the fish that I fight are fought off the rod including some trophy sized trout, so a disk drag is not necessary. I own Abel TR and Creek series reels, but I wouldn't mind adding some Hardy reels to my collection.

Over the past two weekends, I worked at some sportsmen's shows. The hot selling price point reel was the Lamson Guru. For $189, it offers the same conical drag system found on the $409 Waterworks ULA 2 LT. The only differences are the amount of machining done and barstock alloy used.

MP
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM

flyguy_99 is on a distinguished road

I have tested a mojority of the fly reels on the market in your price range (under $200). The Lamson guru is a great reel, the no maintence feature alone is a high selling point. It does take a little effort to remove the spool and the reel does create the click-n-pawl sound upon retrieval.

I would suggest looking at G.Loomis' Eastfork line of reels. The drag system is incredibly smooth, nice finish, lightweight, and under $200.
Welcome to G.Loomis
Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM

mikesalmon is on a distinguished road

I picked up a Orvis BBS last season when they had the free extra spool offer. Turned out to be a great deal in my opinion. The real is very light. I believe one of the lightest reels available that is a quality product.

In my situation I was looking for a reel in the 5 to 5.5 oz range. The BBS-V came in at 5 oz and cost me $150. including a spare spool. When I looked at other decent reels in this weight range they were usually twice this price and up.

I will probably purchase another one for another system I have...
Old 01-27-2010, 10:21 PM

luke langton is on a distinguished road

I purchased a Vosseler D3 on ebay for $140 and have another d3 that I love but paid $260. I think the guy I bought mine from still has a few listed great reel especial for the price.