The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

thaistick is on a distinguished road
Default need to make a decision

maybe you guys/gals can help me make this easy, looking 2 the galvan torque or the new sage 6000 12WT.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:44 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need to make a decision

I am having a hard time making this suggestion because of my preference towards California reel brands. Sorry familia Galvan.

Sage 6012 - It has a Jack Charleton designed drag. At one time, it was the standard for the stacked washer disk drag technology. It may only be second to the new Mako reels that have JC's latest technology. Look to spend at least $1000 for a Mako.

MP
Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

thaistick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I am having a hard time making this suggestion because of my preference towards California reel brands. Sorry familia Galvan.

Sage 6012 - It has a Jack Charleton designed drag. At one time, it was the standard for the stacked washer disk drag technology. It may only be second to the new Mako reels that have JC's latest technology. Look to spend at least $1000 for a Mako.

MP
got the galvan 12wt brand new on ebay half off retail!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have found that the Galvan saltwater reels need an extra touch of cleaning compared to other reels on the market. After each trip give it a thorough cleaning. That way it will last you a bit longer.

I highly suggest buying a spare spring clip and pawl. The pawl determines drag direction. The spring clip holds the pawl in place. In the past, a pawl broke on one of the shop demo reels that I loaned out to one of my clients.

Enjoy your reel.

MP