The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default Lamson Vanquish,, anyone?

I hear this reel is pretty nice the vanquish LT's and for me around 10-12# I've held one and checked it out close up but thats all I know,,, have any of you got to use one yet,, have you experienced the drag,,, need opinions or whats the rumors?

taken from lamson:
VANQUISH : the ultimate blue water weapon. As the name implies, we created the Vanquish reel with just one thing in mind – total victory. And as the “form follows function” zealots we are, it all starts with the world’s smoothest, and now much larger and more powerful drag system. Delivering twice the torque of our previous salt water design, the Waterworks conical drag generates no stick-slip even at the line-snapping rates required by blue water anglers.

To support this kind of torque, a new, much stiffer frame was created — one that transmits extreme loads with a simple, efficient and graceful structure.

Features:

An integrated foot/frame which, while stronger than a traditional fastened-on foot, also raises the center of mass of the reel, improving casting ease and accuracy
Machined-from-solid, modular stainless stripping arm on V12 and V10
Our proprietary “Hard Alox” finish
Large, ergonomic, self lubricating no-slip handle
Tandem roller clutch transmits higher torque and provides redundancy
Fully sealed, zero maintenance drag components
V12 and V10 spools are offered in both a standard ported closed-faced version and a lighter, open-spoke design
Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lamson Vanquish,, anyone?

I haven't had a chance to use one yet. When the spring/summer Stripers come into the rivers, I plan on borrowing one from the Waterworks/Lamson rep (the 8 weight model). Currently I have one displayed in a fish bowl that is full of fine grained sand. The spool spins very smoothly.

I have owned many Waterworks and Lamson reels in the past. The conical drag system has one of the smoother start ups out there. There are other reels with more stopping power (Abel, Tibor, Charleton/Mako), but the conical drag is enough.

MP
Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM

dub is on a distinguished road

I have the 8 Lt and another one on order. Unfortunately I have not got to fish it yet, but I think they are the nicest saltwater reels out there. They are built like a tank, lightweight and the drag I'm sure will not be a disappointment. Most of this I am sure you noticed when looking at the reel. I think Lamson got this one right and hope to give the reel a workout this Spring.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 PM

I was pretty impressed with it too in the store but I'm wondering about all the parts and if the salt exposure would eventually do anything to it espeically those little plastic fingers that click inside,,,,, I'm thinking about doing a off shore trip in Maine this year for juvenile Blue-Fins and even though I have a megaloop reel I want to keep that set up with 9# lines and set up the vanquish (or a dedicated blue water reel) with 12 or 14#...

I asked the guy on youtube who does the motorcycle reel tests to do a test on this one for me but havent heard back..

thanks for the posts.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tajue17,

You don't need a motorcycle to do a good test of a similar type. Get a kid on a bike and try to hold him back. When he comes back you can see how quick you can recover the line.

I have never tried it but if you have a big dog that likes to play he may be a great test. Especially if you through a ball and he takes off to get it. He might stop with too much pressure but who knows. Of course he would have to have a harness to fasten the line to.

Then there is the wife in the car trick. Just make sure she knows when to stop. I would hate to see your rod and reel bouncing down the street.

Frank
Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 PM

hey frank,, I hear you about the test but as wierd as it sounds I'm scared to do the test After I buy the reel for fear of seizing it or blowing it up and then lamson saying I caused it myself,,,, I'm thinking about doing a trip off the coast of NYC for Juvenile Blue-fins and because I might not need the heavy setup anymore after that I figure i can re-spool the vanquish with 10# line for what I'm fishing for locally..

really just a thought though on the lamson it is very new and I',m always sketchy on using first run gear..