The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 AM

57hotrodvw is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Reel for 3wt rod - Got suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice, lighter weight reel to compliment a 3wt rod (likely a Redington Classic Trout 4 piece 7'6').

At this point, I'm leaning towards something like an Orvis Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock or Orvis CFO, and I like the disc drag and traditional look/feel.

If you've got suggestions on something else, and/or have a possibly suitable reel that's gathering dust that you want to sell, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!
--Eric
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel for 3wt rod - Got suggestions?

I use Orvis CFO's (both the old made in England and more recently the asian-made version) on my 2, 3, 4 and 5 weight rods. Love 'em. Have both the clicker and disc versions, and in those line weights, really never felt the need for one over the other. Both work just fine. Oh, and the 5 weight has landed some healthy fish where the drag (disc in this instance) did come into play, and as I said, works just fine. Like the looks, too.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Of your two reels that you chose, I'd go for the CFO. It is a much better build. And it just looks right.

Personally I'd rather have a click and pawl reel. The Redington Drift 2/3 balances perfectly on a 7'6" 3 weght CT because Redington designed the Drift series to match with that rod series. If you want to go old school, a Hardy Featherweight is a great option. Another option would be a Cortland Retro 1.

Dennis
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

if it were me id choose the Allen Fly Fishing Trout reel or a Lamson Guru or Konic.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Based on weight the Allen is the last reel that I would choose because it's relatively heavy for it's listed size at 4.8oz. That might be fine for a 9ft 5wt but for a shorter 3wt it is too much.

Shooting for a weight at or under 4oz would be my personal choice. Certainly Lamson makes some that would fit the need as does the higher end Sage products. An Abel click drag TR1 is nice at 4oz and Hardy certainly makes some nice light weight click drag reels.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

I have that same rod with a Pflueger Medalist 1492 and feel that it balances well. I also like the way the little Medalist complements the the classic looks of the CT.

I know it's not a fancy or expensive reel, but it's a bullet-proof design that (with a little bit of care) will probably outlast most of us.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

either of the Allen 3 weights
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I have an Okuma SLV 2/3 - if you think you'd like to try it PM me.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 AM

khl is on a distinguished road

Here is a quick link to a guy's review of some lighter weight reels, including the CFO and the Battenkill (Large Arbor - not the Bar Stock):

Three and Four Weight Fly Reels - GearReview.com

He weighed each reel (the second weight value). For some of the reels, there is a noticeable difference between specification weight and his actual recorded weight. In his review, he mentions that he had a tough time identifying around a 1 oz. weight difference.

I would tend to agree with that statement when you're comparing off the rod, but it might be different (not sure) on how it would affect rod balance and perceived weight when casting.

FWIW, the weight difference from reel to reel may be similar to stereo shopping. You may notice a difference at the store when you have multiple systems lined up in front of you in a room designed for auditioning, but you won't have that environment when you bring the system home.

If you have a chance to mount them and cast, I'd say go for it. If not, I would probably prioritize other factors such as build quality, warranty, price point, aesthetics, etc.

Regards,

Kai.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:13 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

...other than the fact that most of those reels are no longer in production. The Ross reels are pre Evolution ( i have a gunnison three that i bought used). The versions of the CFO and the Battenkill Large Arbor is a couple generations old.