The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 PM

sneeds is on a distinguished road
Default Reel for Sage xi2 8wt and bonefishing

Going on my first bonefishing trip next month. I got a great deal on a Sage xi2 rod and now am in a "reel" dilemma. Started looking at Orvis Battenkill LA due to attractive price (dealer told me he has several come back with sand in them) and then drifted toward Sage 4580 (didn't like the open gearing) and then 6080 (like it but now the price is high) and then Bauer Rogue (like it, but never used Bauer). I have Ross on all my trout rods, but don't see one that is sealed and thought I might try something more known for saltwater. I wanted to be in the $200-400 range and am now approaching $600. So, then do I just go to a Tibor? I will probably use this setup once a year for saltwater and then maybe get a second spool for steelheading. Suggestions?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:05 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel for Sage xi2 8wt and bonefishing

I would think that the Ross Momentum is sealed well enough to keep grit like
sand from being a problem.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There is a reason for hardcore saltwater anglers leaning towards Abels or Tibors. The reels don't fail. If you are willing to spend the extra money, that is the way that I would go. I am still using a standard arbor Abel Big Game 3N as my main 8 weight reel. Mine is an old round hole and solid back model that has seen a lot of action. I am still using the original cork and original bearings. Either an Abel Super 8 or a Tibor Everglades should fit your bill. If you want an old school look, look at the Tibor Light Back Country Wide.

As for the alternatives, you may want to take a close look at the Momentum that Frank mentioned or the Bauer Rogue 4. I have been using the Rogue 4 as a Steelhead reel on my switch rod. The Rogue 4 has a smooth start and a wide range for the drag. It is fully sealed, so you don't have to fiddle around with the guts. Also take a look at the Galvan Torque 8. It has a reliable drag system that can help slow down a fish. The machining is beautiful, too.

There are a lot of good reels on the market, and any one of them will work for you. You just need to figure out which one is best for you.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 02-05-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

You might find Nautilus reels will work for what you need. The FW series
should be very suitable for bonefish & an excellent fresh water reel to boot.

Best of luck.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 PM

NVYDVR1 is on a distinguished road

Waterworks/Lampson reels are great saltwater reels with a pretty bulletproof drag system.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I have a Rogue 4 on my Xi2 8 wt - great reel for a great rod! (Also have a Rogue 3 on my 6 wt streamer rod). The drag on the Rogue is sealed and VERY smooth. It is well worth the money.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

You dont need a sealed drag for SW fishing.None of my reels have one and they get fished almost daily in the salt.I use J Ryall as well as Tibor and Pate and none have ever had any problems.Tons of bonefish and other species have ben taken on the old Sci Anglers System II reels.They all work so its just a matter of picking the one you like and going with it.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I sold my last 8 weight Xi2 today. The customer also left with a bonefish line on a clear anodized (ie raw aluminum finish) Galvan Torque 8. When rod and reel (loaded with line) were put together, the outfit looked sharp. I would be stoked to own that outfit.

MP
Old 02-07-2010, 04:11 PM

sneeds is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a Galvyn dealer around here. Did you feel it was a "well balanced" system?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeds View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a Galvyn dealer around here. Did you feel it was a "well balanced" system?
Over the years, I have sold a lot of 8 weight Sage premium rods with Galvan Torque 8 reels. They balance well.

MP