The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:19 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default sea level fly reels (link) -opinions?

I just noticed our local shop is carrying these now,,, seems like a good deal but I always like to check with the majority and see what the rumors and opinions are..

Reels Sea Level Extreme
Old 02-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sea level fly reels (link) -opinions?

I've never heard of these reels before, but I sure like the looks with the colors and the fish etching's, and the price is very reasonable. Did the fly shop have any experience with them?

Larry
Old 02-06-2010, 09:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sea Level Fly Fishing is a company that makes its mostly through internet sales and the show circuit. Ray, the owner, was able to get his hands on the design of the discontinued Albright Tempest saltwater reel when Albright decided to discontinue it. The Tempest was probably Albright's best design. The smaller #2 reel has a following of California Delta fly fishers.

The Extreme is a big game Tempest. It is built like a tank and can take a lot of punishment. It's cork drag has plenty of stopping power. The only thing that I dislike is the push button spool release. Some colleagues and I have experienced spools releasing off of the reel frames that had push button releases. For a draw bar big game reel, it should be screw locked.

MP
Old 02-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tajue17.

I have not seen one of the reels so my thoughts are just general observations. The first reel is 3 7/8 reel that weighs 13.1ozs. That is a lot of weight for a reel of that size. MP didn't say they were made in the US. I also don't particularly like the push button release. It is a full frame reel and they tend to be tough. I can't tell if the drag is sealed and some people like that feature. From the design I don't think it is sealed. Maybe MP can answer that? If you like the full frame design you might consider the Teton/Tioga reels. The olds ones were very good reels.

You didn't say witch reel you are interested in. If it is the small reel look at Ross, Lamson and Nautilus. If you are looking at the smaller reel then I think the Nautilus 7+ feather wight would be my choice. About the same money and maybe a few dollars cheaper.

Frank

Teton Fly Reels
Click the image to open in full size.

Nautilus Feather Weight
Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

hey guys thanks for the posts and you guys brought up some good stuff that I didn't think off,, push button release--> can you imagine the spoll popping on a albie run....

but I was looking at the saltwater models,,, I'm still trying to get a 14# set-up that works and will hold up to the juvinile blue-fins,,, I'm looking for somethign fairly cheap because this is only something I'd do maybe once or twice a season "if that" and the guides I found say I need to bring my own stuff for these type of fish because if the equipment fails its not their fault..

also I like to pass along stuff into the forum for people doing future searchs and having some info pop up..

Frank,, I do agree with the nautilis thats one of the best money deals out there for heavy game fish and a reel with a proven drag --> it may come down to me buying the NV model at some point.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tajue17,

If you are thinking about an Nautilus I would try and find a older model of the CCF. It is also heavy but a tough reel. They have some new models in the 12 wt reel. I will look around and see if I can come up with something. In the size you want you might also find a Ross Momentum. I think there are still some around at a discount.

Frank
Old 02-06-2010, 07:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The reel does not have a sealed drag.

Look for used Abels or Tibors on Ebay. Look for a Big Game 4.5n or 5 or a Super 13 or 14 Large Arbor. The Tibor Pacific would be the one you would be looking for.

There is an Abel BG 4.5n on Ebay currently..
Abel 4.5 fly Reel gloss Black finish USED - eBay (item 280461042246 end time Feb-11-10 15:13:09 PST)

When it comes to saltwater big game, it is hard to beat the Abels or Tibors.

MP