The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Ultralight Disc Drag Options: Sage 4230, Litespeed, Other

I've got 7' 4wt that is a sub 2 oz rod. The other 4 wt reel I have is 4.6 oz, and it really is misbalanced on this light AND short rod. I really would like a center-line disc reel if I can find one light enough to balance. It seems that weight is no reason to choose click-pawl over disc since some of the disc reels are just as light now. It looks like the Sage 4230 and the new Litespeed Hard Alox come in at 3.75 and 3.5oz. respectively; and will hold a 4 wt line. Are there other options for a 4wt disc drag reel that weighs less than 4 oz? I am open to used/outdated models also, I'll probably be looking to pick this up used and cheap.

Any input/review on these two reels or suggestions of other options?

Last edited by ausablebrown; 04-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ultralight Disc Drag Options: Sage 4230, Litespeed, Other

If you want to go lighter, check out a Sage Click or Waterworks Purist. These reels weigh under three ounces.

Dennis
Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This may be a bit too 'retro,' but I'd toss the Phlug. Medalists into consideration. 50++ years of proof they "just work."
Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you want to go lighter, check out a Sage Click or Waterworks Purist. These reels weigh under three ounces.

Dennis
I don't think I need to go that light to balance this out; but I did want to get a reel about 3.5 for it. It felt pretty ballanced with a BBS 2 on the rod. And like I said, why not get a disc drag if you can find one as light as the click-pawl reels.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I agree, the Sage Click reels are a bit too light unless you get the Click V which may balance pretty nice- it's a bit over 2.5oz. But honestly I think the 4230 would be a fine choice, it's light, great drag, looks cool and the price is nice. The only question is which color?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I have a 7 ft bamboo in a 4wt and I use a BBS III...and it balances perfectly.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
I have a 7 ft bamboo in a 4wt and I use a BBS III...and it balances perfectly.
I'm going to guess that your bamboo is a little heavier than 1 13/16 oz.?? I've considered the BBS II because it felt good, but like I said, there are quality disc reels that are just as light and I prefer disc if I can have that luxury. It is a 4 wt and could be fighting a monster every now and again.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:26 PM

I just noticed that Nautilus shaved half an oz off of the FW when they turned out the FWX. It's only 3.6 oz now for a 3.25" LA 4 wt. Is anyone using one of these yet?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ausable, I just found this post after commenting on your other thread asking for info on the 7' ft T. I have mine paired with a Litespeed 1.5, maybe overkill for our application but it sure does balance out the rod nicely. Also gives me piece of mind in the event that I hook up with a big fish.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the airflo balance 3/5 is very light.

ARFE