The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Evolution LT Question

I was reading about the Evolution LT on another forum, and a poster mentioned that it has a louder drag. They cited the MidCurrent review, where
it was said that Ross removed the drag's plastic damper(???). They said the
louder click took a bit of getting used to, but they liked it after a while. Has
anyone been able to get their hands on this reel?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Evolution LT Question

I turns out that the one I want is the hardest to come by. (black #4) I'll have one soon, and will be quite anxious to give it a work out.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 1.5, 2, and a 3 at the shop. It is a little louder than the original Evolution, but it isn't a big issue. It isn't as loud as the Abel and Hardy click drags that I have in the case.

MP
Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
How'd I know you'd have the answer, MP. LL Bean's online catalog lists
the #4 as being in stock, Cliff. I don't know if you had a particular shop you
wanted to buy from......
Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like Ross is having a good intro year with the Evo LT. For the shop to get restocked, it was a three week wait from when I submitted the order to receipt of the product. Larger retailers like LL Bean usually get dibs at them because they put in large preseason orders.

I think that Ross hit a home run with the reel.

MP
Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I think that Ross hit a home run with the reel.

MP
That's all the excuse I need. ....LOL!!!!

There are 3 fly shops within 45 minutes of me. Two are Orvis dealers, and
the other is a fly fishing salon. They decided to push Lamsons for freshwater about 3 years ago, and trash talked Ross like it was garbage. They
would point to the pawl ring, and tell people that it was made up of tiny springs, and that one speck of grit would jam these springs. Well, there are
no springs on the Evo/Rhythm drag pawls, and that's when I finally had enough of their nonsense. The folks at the Orvis shops are really
great, but they only carry Orvis.

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Fly fishing salon - I love it! That is too funny!

I will admit that I have seen issues with that pawl ring. But it was on a Big Game 7 that a guy was using on Atlantic Sailfish and different species of Marlin. The ring exploded on the last day after numerous hookups. His reel went into free spool mode. I'm sure that you can guess the rest.

I'm sure that you won't have that issue with little trout reels.

MP
Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 PM

When I bought my first Rhythms, I had Ross send me a few extra pawls just
in case. They sent them out free of charge, so that's all good. The guys at
the fly salon were telling people that the Evo's had springs on the pawl
ring, and they were subject to jamming.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Blue Quill Angler: bluequillangler.com

I typically try to buy local to support the shops, but I've been eyeballing some stuff on their website for a while. Free premium flyline with purchase is a considerable enticement. To qualify any implied "recommendation" I have never purchased from them.

Cliff, I don't know your intended use, so if you are doing saltwater, they might not have a line you are looking for.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddombos2 View Post
Blue Quill Angler: bluequillangler.com

I typically try to buy local to support the shops, but I've been eyeballing some stuff on their website for a while. Free premium flyline with purchase is a considerable enticement. To qualify any implied "recommendation" I have never purchased from them.

Cliff, I don't know your intended use, so if you are doing saltwater, they might not have a line you are looking for.
Thanks anyway, my reel's on the way and I already have the line for it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.