The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Allen & Co reel? what do you all think?

Got my 7/8 XL in the other night. Justin gave me instructions on how to change it to left hand retrieve. If I wasn't such a moron, it would have gotten done before now.

It's a nice reel. Ultra light for a 7/8 wt reel. If I'm not mistaken, it's got a black anodized finish. I thought it was paint from the pics, but upon closer inspection, I can see some slight milling marks. Smooth as butter.

Mounted it on the 9' 7wt Avid just to see where it balanced at. It landed right at the hook keeper. I think with some line/backing, it'll hit the sweet spot right at the handle tip.

I'm considering getting another for my 5wt and selling the Ross Flystart I have.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab fisher View Post
i got mine last week and they are great feeling and operating reels one of the spools were bent and scratched the reel at fast speeds in and out so i emailed justin and he had a replacement in the mail asap. so far great reels and great guy hopefully going to get out sunday for some big browns and whities
ab, although I'm not politically correct, refined, nor a gentleman or scholar, I about gagged when I read your post. Please, next time a few periods, some capitol letters (where they belong) would really make your post more enjoyable to read. I'm glad I wasn't on oxygen when I read it, I would have passed out. That's the longest sentence I've tried to read in a long time.

Sincerely,
Sister Mary Elephant
Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

That's funny, Mojo. I guess I must have breezed it....

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 AM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
ab, although I'm not politically correct, refined, nor a gentleman or scholar, I about gagged when I read your post. Please, next time a few periods, some capitol letters (where they belong) would really make your post more enjoyable to read. I'm glad I wasn't on oxygen when I read it, I would have passed out. That's the longest sentence I've tried to read in a long time.

Sincerely,
Sister Mary Elephant
haha my bad you would think i would add periods and capitals but for some reason i dont on forums. I guess i am just in to much of a hurry to post things to grammer check them.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 AM

balogand is on a distinguished road

So how do you guys feel about them? They look great. I am going to go ahead and pick up a 7/8 I think. I don't have much to compare it to however. I have had a few orvis reels of older vintage, and a pretty nice redington. Nothing in this size and large arbor except for my recent purchase of a sage 1680.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 AM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by balogand View Post
So how do you guys feel about them? They look great. I am going to go ahead and pick up a 7/8 I think. I don't have much to compare it to however. I have had a few orvis reels of older vintage, and a pretty nice redington. Nothing in this size and large arbor except for my recent purchase of a sage 1680.
i can only speak of the XL sense i havent got my alpha yet but man i can tell you that the XL is amazing. they are very smooth and sturdy reels. from what i have seen of the alphas' design they look like they will be even better. you will not be disappointed by no means
Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi balogand,

Justin sent me a reel to review and I am working on that. I think it is a heck of a reel for the money. I say that based on its construction but I have not fished it. Only fishing it will tell us how good the drag is. I think it is worth the money even if it didn't have a drag.

Frank
Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 AM

diverdown is on a distinguished road

I ordered both a 5/6 XL series and a 12/14 alpha. Both are amazing. They are butter smooth and the drag feels great. I can not wait to fish them.

I've showed both reels to friends and family who have Orvis and GLoomis reels and these Allen reels stack up very nice. They were amazed at what I paid for them. I believe Justin will be getting purchase requests shortly.

~S
Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 AM

coldspring is on a distinguished road

I'm new to this sport, but I do like my Alpha 5/6. Well worth what I paid, after looking at different reels in shops.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 AM

Cleep1700 is on a distinguished road

I bought the XL 7/8 for my new Sage Largemouth rod. Like the reel and really like Justin's customer service.