The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default BKMA Bargain

Today I picked up an Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor V (9wt-10wt) reel on a clearance special. These are not the lightest reels on the market, but past experience is that they are very durable and have an excellent drag. I paid less than $75 for it vs. the MSRP of $159 - not a bad bargain. Now I just need to find a decent 10-wt rod to mount it on for a future trip to AK that will include King Salmon - anyone know of any deals out there?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BKMA Bargain

Free shipping ends Sunday

XX Fly Rods | AlbrightFlyFish.com
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Rip Tide,

The XX Series of Albright rods comes with 2 different handles. What do you call the "B" handle style rod? I assume it can't be considered a "spey" rod since the rod is only 9ft long? and it does not appear to be a a switch rod - correct? Thanks for the input.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Rip Tide,

The XX Series of Albright rods comes with 2 different handles. What do you call the "B" handle style rod? I assume it can't be considered a "spey" rod since the rod is only 9ft long? and it does not appear to be a a switch rod - correct? Thanks for the input.
I call it an unneeded waste of cork. Don't bother
Whenever you find yourself needing to use a second hand on the rod to land a fish, the second grip is not necessary
The upper hand is used as a pivot only. Extra pressure at this point in the rod will bust it if your not careful
Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 PM

With a 9ft rod, can the second handle provide help when casting heavy flies for extended distances?

Last time I was in Alsaka I used a 6wt for trout and an 8wt for sockeye salmon. I hooked up a couple of Kings (unplanned) with the 8wt while fishing for reds. Unfortunately I was not able to land any of the Kings I hooked.

On the other hand I did land a couple of low-teens salmon on the 6wt while fishing for rainbows.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 PM

No
It's not for casting, it's for fighting fish
Pretty useless at that too
Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 AM

Thanks for the input.