The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 AM

drnihili is on a distinguished road
Default Importance of reel for small trout

It always happens. I get on a forum and hear everyone talking about gear, and suddenly I "need" things I'd never even heard of ....

Anyway, my son and I are fishing for small trout, mainly in ponds and streams. I've always considered that for small fish, the reel is nothing more than a place to store line, so aside from questions of balance, it really didn't matter. Am I wrong? Is there any advantage to a $75 reel over a $20 reel in these situations?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importance of reel for small trout

You are absolutely correct!

Larry
Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnihili View Post
It always happens. I get on a forum and hear everyone talking about gear, and suddenly I "need" things I'd never even heard of ....

Anyway, my son and I are fishing for small trout, mainly in ponds and streams. I've always considered that for small fish, the reel is nothing more than a place to store line, so aside from questions of balance, it really didn't matter. Am I wrong? Is there any advantage to a $75 reel over a $20 reel in these situations?
While I didn't spend much on my reel... I did research the drag systems for those times you might hook into the 6-10 # fish... I caught a nice little 13" bow a few weeks back and my five wt just pulled it right in... with those small fish, it holds the line, but I don't know how I could strip in a 10# fighter...

Justin
Old 03-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Well, the biggest fish any of us have caught in the last few years has been a shade over 3 pounds. We might get onto some bigger water this year, but that remains to be seen. Perhaps I should wait... On the other hand, those Allen reels look awfully tempting ...
Old 03-08-2010, 01:30 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnihili View Post
Well, the biggest fish any of us have caught in the last few years has been a shade over 3 pounds. We might get onto some bigger water this year, but that remains to be seen. Perhaps I should wait... On the other hand, those Allen reels look awfully tempting ...
i have an allen & co XL and was fishing sunday on some small 14" fish and was able to set the drag light enought that i caould use a small line and not have it break if they decided to run. my favorite reel is my allen adn co real and i fish with a vosseller and redington reels as well but the X L comes out on top
Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

For small fish, the reel is just a line holder.

The only consideration is when fishing small streams, you are continually reeling in when you move from one pool to the next.
You don't need a high end reel with a fancy drag, but you do need a reel that will endure the constant reeling, then stripping off of the line.
The very cheapest of reels won't last, but you don't need to break the bank either.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:41 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Ill put my .02 in as im still new take that for what its worth....when i got my new setup i asked all kinds of questions on rods and so on but never really hit on a reel much......when i went to the shop to buy the rod i picked the guys brain a bit on reels and asked the same question exactly...here is what he told me and what i ended up going with.....yes its really jsut a line store station for smaller fish but what happens when you hook into a big fish you have to have a good drag system as well.....then think if your going to want other lines...such as a sinking line, intermediate or something like that...then you have to buy a spool for each of those lines.....now most of the spools are about half the cost of the reel....so if you got a $100 reel...spool is gonna run ya about $50...now thats for every other line......put 3 lines in and you got some $$ tied up in a reel........well heres what i went with a Greys XRi...its a cassette type reel has a good drag large arbor and comes with 3 extra cassettes as well as a nice padded case....all for $100 it works perfect...takes jsut a few minutes to go from my floating line to my sinking line...takes longer to string the rod up than swap the cassettes out...and it has a great drag system......just my .02 worth might be worth a look
Old 03-08-2010, 02:37 PM

Hmmm, well my son's reel has a drag on it. Mine just clicks. Of course I do have a birthday coming up ....
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Your initial post was right on target. In any freshwater flyfish scenario....the actual rod and fly line are the MOST important.....the reel always comes in 3rd IMHO. For small trout...its even more applicable. By the way....I started Flyfishing on a $25 Pleugler Medalist 5/6 weight reel....and I still have it. Check out the smaller versions which are still around $25.....an unbelievably excellent product that will withstand the test of time.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
Ill put my .02 in as im still new take that for what its worth....when i got my new setup i asked all kinds of questions on rods and so on but never really hit on a reel much......when i went to the shop to buy the rod i picked the guys brain a bit on reels and asked the same question exactly...here is what he told me and what i ended up going with.....yes its really jsut a line store station for smaller fish but what happens when you hook into a big fish you have to have a good drag system as well.....then think if your going to want other lines...such as a sinking line, intermediate or something like that...then you have to buy a spool for each of those lines.....now most of the spools are about half the cost of the reel....so if you got a $100 reel...spool is gonna run ya about $50...now thats for every other line......put 3 lines in and you got some $$ tied up in a reel........well heres what i went with a Greys XRi...its a cassette type reel has a good drag large arbor and comes with 3 extra cassettes as well as a nice padded case....all for $100 it works perfect...takes jsut a few minutes to go from my floating line to my sinking line...takes longer to string the rod up than swap the cassettes out...and it has a great drag system......just my .02 worth might be worth a look
We carry Grey's in the shop, I sold a friend one like you bought and he loves it, I bought a G-Tech (200) and really like it. Very good products for the money. I have also read good reviews on them. Grey's is actually part of Hardy's now. grey use to work for Hardy, went off on his own and started makeing gear, then Hardy bought him out as a sister company.
For very small fish a reel is just a reel, BUT you NEVER know when that fish of a life time can hit or where he can come from, and the better quality of gear the nicer it is to use, I tell folks all the time to scrimp on a reel if they HAVE to, buy a good rod and line, then add a better reel down the road.
Bear